Windows 10 upgrade -Touch pad not working after login/restart

I have a Dell inspiron 3542 PC/laptop which was purchased with windows 8.1 installed. I recently upgraded the operating system to windows 10 by downloading it from microsoft website after which  I have the following problem.

Immediately after logging in or restarting the computer the touch pad does not work and the cursor does not move. If however any key is pressed on the key board the touch pad starts working normally. The manufacturer Dell ran certain hardware tests and concluded there is no problem with the touchpad. They  upgraded the BIOS and also installed the latest touchpad drivers. Still the problem persisted.

They suggested  a clean reinstall of the OS.This  has also been done but the problem continues.Can someone tell me what could be the cause for this problem and a step-wise procedure  to rectify it? The local Dell service centre tells me that the drivers have not been updated for windows 10. Is it correct. By the way , I uninstalled the drivers and the problem disappeared but other issues like the intended files not opening cropped up. please help.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for updating us with the status of your issue and we appreciate you for trying troubleshooting steps.

As you said that still you are facing issue with touchpad refer the below link,
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/8c1ebba1-17ec-a449-10d2-2182bdfabc82/fix-touchpad-problems-in-windows-10

And also update your device manually by provided steps to install all updates,

If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button  , then select Settings   > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2022 Views 4,626 Applies to: