Windows 10 Upgrade Error 80073BC3

I've searched around for anybody else on the internet with this problem or a similar problem and haven't found anything particularly helpful yet.

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. The first time I tried to do a normal upgrade using the USB Creation Tool, the upgrade go to the point where it was installing the files with the circular loading bar....or, at least, it showed that screen for about 1 second, then booted back into Windows 7, where it said:

"We couldn't install Windows 10

0x80073BC3 - 0x20009

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation"

Conveniently, it also broke my activation key, making my copy of Windows 7 non-genuine.

I was able to get a Windows 10 product key from Dreamspark, so that is no longer an issue...I have also used the USB Creation Tool to make a bootable Windows 10 drive. However, running that (navigating to it in file menu and running setup.exe) brings me the exact same error. I have no real clue what the error could be. Does anybody have any advice, or any idea what the cause is?

Hi,

Refer the wiki article by Andre Da Costa with regards to  How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails

This should help fix the issue and get you up and running on Windows 10.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I get a slightly different message, but the same error number 80073BC3-20009:

2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                  SP     Executing operation: Set SafeOS boot entry as the default boot entry
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                  SP     DISKSPACETRACK: Available    : 51044749312
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                  SP     DISKSPACETRACK: Needed total : 11321901229
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                  SP     DISKSPACETRACK: Needed for op: 0
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Error                 SP     CSetDefaultBootEntry: BCD Open failed. Error: 0x00003BC3
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Set SafeOS boot entry as the default boot entry. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                         CSqmSession::SetSQMDatapoint: Set SQM datapoint: Id = 12372, Value = 2, Operation = 2
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                         CSqmSession::SetSQMDatapoint: Set SQM datapoint: Id = 12373, Value = 9, Operation = 2
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Info                         CSqmSession::SetSQMDatapoint: Set SQM datapoint: Id = 12657, Value = -2147009597, Operation = 2
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Error                 SP     Operation execution failed: 9. hr = 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2015-08-01 10:13:55, Error                 SP     CSetupPlatformPrivate::Execute: Execution of operations queue failed, abandoning. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]

Any help for that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've searched around for anybody else on the internet with this problem or a similar problem and haven't found anything particularly helpful yet.

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. The first time I tried to do a normal upgrade using the USB Creation Tool, the upgrade go to the point where it was installing the files with the circular loading bar....or, at least, it showed that screen for about 1 second, then booted back into Windows 7, where it said:

"We couldn't install Windows 10

0x80073BC3 - 0x20009

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation"

Conveniently, it also broke my activation key, making my copy of Windows 7 non-genuine.

I was able to get a Windows 10 product key from Dreamspark, so that is no longer an issue...I have also used the USB Creation Tool to make a bootable Windows 10 drive. However, running that (navigating to it in file menu and running setup.exe) brings me the exact same error. I have no real clue what the error could be. Does anybody have any advice, or any idea what the cause is?

I had the same/similar happen on my laptop(HP,AMD quad, Radeon ,8gb ram ,Hybrid SSHD). Kept getting different codes at times. Ran MICROSOFT "Fix It" for windows updates several times. Saw several references to problems with my "modern".

After @ 3 weeks "SURPRISE!!!" Guess what free upgrade finally ran too compleation. 10,10,10.

Workes great just taking my time with acclamation. Back too what I believe is happening. your machine is being prepped 1,2 or more smaller updates , then rest a bit. repete....  When the machine is prepped TO  "Microsoft proper Specs"(my nane for this), 10 will finally install. I'm not paid but a user/client,  so I guess I can share this.  None that are "paid" have come close with, "JUST BE MORE PATIANT".

I WOULD HAVE LISTENED. hope THIS HELPS . JCBAHA13

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ja, same here... A try after a few weeks rendered success with the Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Pro. Apparently the update process in the beginning of the upgrade is important, so you get the latest fixes. In my case it was a hardware dll which didn't work with my acer motherboard, which caused my problem. I must admit I'm a little bit impressed with MS. Anyway I will switch to Windows Server 2016 as soon it is commercially available, since I want the new Docker feature.

Cheers,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2024 Views 5,175 Applies to: