Windows 10 update stuck and won’t boot.

A friend tried to update to Windows 10; it failed and his machine will not boot. A failed boot attempt displays the PC manufacturer message (instead of a Blue Screen):

:(

Your PC experienced a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info and then you can restart.

If you would like to know more, you can search online for: “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL (MFEWFPD.sys)”

1)      All solutions I’ve seen start with Windows booted up or in Safe Mode. Windows does not boot; it starts with the ‘Blue Screen’ message. Windows 10 never got to the ‘first time’ set up.

2)      Where are my user files? I pulled the drive to copy user files before further attempts to fix. I cannot find any files in User subdirectories. Other directories created in the drive c: root were copied okay.

Any way to salvage this for my friend?

Hi Gary,  

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

Are you able to boot to desktop screen?

If not, as of now I would suggest that you perform Power Drain and check if you can return back to your desktop screen. To do so follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
  2. Press and hold the Power button for 30sec
  3. Plug the charger/power cord and restart system.

I would also suggest that you refer to the Microsoft Article Troubleshoot blue screen errors provided in the link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors 

Hope the information helps. Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. This situation is on a desktop PC.

2. This PC does not get to the desktop screen.

3. The power on sequence of events:

- The manufacturer logo plus the Windows 'please wait' graphic (the dots doing circles)

- No boot, the screen goes blank. I assume another reboot is attempted.

- The manufacturer logo and Window wait graphic reappear.

- Finally, the manufacturer screen appears instead of a Blue Screen. My first post shows the message between the ruled lines.

_ The only recourse is to press the power button. There are no other controls displayed.

4. After two cycles of #3, a manufacturer Recovery screen appears with a recovery menu.

Since it doesn't appear I'll be able to boot to a Windows desktop to pursue repairs, I'd settle for getting copies of the user documents.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please get back to us with an outcome in case of any issues, we will guide you accordingly.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, the question is can user documents be recovered from this problem update?

As I posted earlier, i pulled the hard drive and installed it as a slave in order to copy the files. While there were files found in folders at the drive c: root, there were no files  found in any of the USER subdirectories. If they are there, how can they be read and copied?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To finish this thread. Fixed hard drive; backed up files, fixed Windows 10 install.

Recap: Hard drive errored during Windows 10 update. When I plugged in the HD to a motherboard SATA cable, my Win8.1 system scanned and repaired HD before booting. This 'fix' resulted in revealing all the user files.

So all files were backed up. Also took the opportunity to rename the .sys file that caused the Windows 10 update to hang.

HD reinstalled and rebooted the system. The system continued processing 'update' (Windows 10) and booted to the login screen! Some clean up and testing apps, importing Favorites it looks good.

QED

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed.

Thank you for sharing the information with all of us. Appreciate your efforts.

Have a great experience with Windows 10 and keep posting in future for any assistance.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2024 Views 2,482 Applies to: