Windows 10 Update - Now my dual monitors do not work

After the most recent Win 10 update I found one of my monitors did not work.  While searching for a solution, I assigned the non working monitor as primary (bad move, I know), now I have neither monitor lit, so I cannot make any changes on screen.  For now I am searching for a solution to 'undo' and to reassign the once working monitor as primary via keyboard or something else.  The once working monitor is attached to the internal video card.  The monitor that is now primary (and didn't work after the update) is attached using an external card.

I have tried all the basic stuff that I know of.  Detaching, rebooting, etc., with no success, so this solution will need to be more obscure.

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
UPDATE: One day later, after a cold start, and I find that the problem hasn't been resolved!

So, I'm back to signing out, which seems to enable/initialise the second monitor correctly, then signing back in again, and everything is then fine for the rest of the session. Hopefully, this may offer an expert some clues as to the root cause of the problem.

FURTHER UPDATE: Whilst signing out then in again resolves the issue, so does a reboot - I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a hardware issue (ie faulty second monitor), and the timing of the Windows 10 update was coincidental ...

@gigabyte56 ... SAME HERE !! This damn Black Screen issue on 1 of the 2 monitors upon computer startup has returned. 😡

Not everyday, but most days.  Then necessary to fiddle with the Multiple Display settings or do a Restart to get both monitors working again. But what a PAIN ! And WHY do we have to do that ???

Well, I have FOUND A SOLUTION !  This is what FIXED IT for me.

1)  Go to Control Panel and click on Power Options.

2)  In the menu on the left-hand side click Choose what the power buttons do.

3)  Click Change settings currently unavailable.

4)  Under Shut-down settings, UNTICK the Turn on fast start-up box.  (NO, we do NOT want Fast Startup anymore.)

Shut down PC ... Turn ON again ... Both monitors display fine ... YAY 😃 👍

63 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

My problem seems to have been resolved by some recent Windows 10 updates, on Nov 15, the latest ones being KB4049011 and KB4048954. I've since booted up my machine a handful of times, and both monitors are working correctly from the outset.

UPDATE: Things may have improved for a short while, but now my monitors' capabilities are not recognised, and I'm stuck with a single monitor, and poor screen resolution. Did the Creators' update consign my graphics card to the bin?

UPDATE, 30 Nov: My original video card was not officially supported at Windows 10, although it had worked perfectly since Windows 10 was introduced. When it started mis-behaving, immediately after the Creators' update, I couldn't get hold of a driver update for Windows 10. Now I've replaced the graphics card with one supported at Windows 10, and everything is now ok.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 58,495 Applies to: