Windows 10 Update Icon in Taskbar is Missing

Until recently, when there were updates to download, I'd get an icon in my taskbar that let me know they were ready to download. Also, when I would shut down the computer, I'd get "Update and Shut Down" instead of just "Shut Down" when using Start > Power Button. These have all disappeared recently, there's no update icon in the taskbar anymore, and when I go to Start > Power Button > Shut Down, it'll start updating, and I had no idea that was going to happen. This causes a problem because I then have to wait around for a while until the update completes before my laptop can be turned off. What can I do to get that icon and the "Update and Shut Down" options back?

Hi Stacia,
I am Sumit here to assist you with this question.

The update and shutdown option is only available when there is an update that requires a reboot.

Please send us a screenshot of the update history.
Go to Start>Settings>Update and Securtity>View Installed updates.
Take a screenshot and post it in the next reply.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What I am saying is that the laptop DOES need to update, and it starts updating when I shut down, but I have had NO warning that the update was coming because there was no update icon in the task bar, and no "Update and Shut Down" in the shut down menu, just "Shut Down." Then when I shut down, I get the "Windows is preparing" message and the laptop updates. The problem is that I had no idea that was coming.

I checked the update history and I see that the update this happened with today was a Definition Update, a Security Intelligence Update. I included a screen shot of that as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 594 Applies to: