Windows 10 Update Complete - Now just Grey screen? Unable to boot in safe mode.

I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on the weekend - left the computer and came back to it once complete to only a grey screen. 

I had 3 screens set up and working prior to doing the update however now 2 of the screens aren't recognised and the main screen just appears as a grey screen. The mouse arrow appears and I am able to move my mouse around but nothing works - ctrl+alt+delete - nothing! I can't get past the grey screen. 

I have restarted 3 times to bring computer into system repair mode - this fails, unable to do anything. 

I have tried to start in safe mode - it just restarts and brings it to the point of the grey screen again. 

I'm unsure what else to do - can anyone provide assistance? 

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Is the upgrade process completed successfully?

Were you able to login to Windows 10?

Reply with the necessary information and I’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Regards,
Yaseer.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For me I cannot log in, I cannot do anything. I do see the Dell screen when I first turn it on but that is it.  No options, nothing.

My download was around 73% when it went to the grey screen. I was not concerned because I thought it was just turning itself off again and re-starting.

I have turned it off and on a couple of times to see if that helps but nope. Nothing. It is a new computer, was running 8.1 and I'm very frustrated.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? My screen just turned grey yesterday after working fine. I had windows 8.1 then a couple months ago did the free upgrade to the windows 10. Last night, computer stated that a restart was required, so I clicked ok to restart. When the computer came back on, a dialog box was present (unfortunately I can't remember what it said) but I couldn't get around it as ctrl+alt+del wouldn't work. I clicked ok on box, but now it is just the grey screen and nothing works except mouse. I have tried manually turning computer off and on, but still just the get the grey screen. I can't log in or anything. This is very frustrating! Any solutions???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to follow these methods, mentioned below, to fix your issue:  

Method 1:

Please refer to the article, created by Sharath Srinivasa, replied on August 7, 2015, to fix your issue with black screen.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/black-screen-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/cf3b4559-67d8-40e0-9cf2-ebf4528e1e78

Method 2:

If the issue still persist, I would suggest you to try automatic repairing the Windows and check, if it helps. I would suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO file and create a Media Creation tool and then, perform Automatic Repair.

Let's refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps: 

1)  Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
2) In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
3)  Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'Automatic Repair'.
4)  After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

For more information, kindly refer to the below given article: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2024 Views 6,614 Applies to: