Windows 10 Update Changed My Pin

My computer turned itself off and turned back on while I was out. As usual it was showing my log on screen when I got back. It won't take my PIN log on. How do I fix this? My computer has locked me out. It tells me I have used the wrong pin number.
Answer
Answer

In order to establish a PIN you must first have a password.  That and any other options you have for Sign In will always be in the link under the password box.  So click that link, choose password and insert it. 

Then go to Settings>Accounts>Sign In Options, remove the PIN and add it back again.  You may need to restart in between each step. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This happens to me every time there's a Windows 10 update. After installing the update, the system requires that I sign in with my password. When I go to Settings it appears that my PIN is active, but unless I remove my PIN and then reset it, my PIN isn't recognized. Of course to remove and reset my PIN requires me signing in with my password both times. Is Microsoft aware of this and looking into why installed updates block our use of signing in with our PIN?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2023 Views 651 Applies to: