Windows 10 update broke my computer?

Hello. I'm quite unhappy with my entire experience. I have had to contact support multiple times because my computer "wasn't on the list" of computers able to run the latest updates. I find this incredibly ironic, as it has 8gb of ram, lots of disk space,  and a very nice processor (~2.6ghz). I have had my agents help me as much as they could, and that wasn't the bad part, they did great! For a day... Somehow, even after they went and did the whole thing about delaying updates for 8 months or so, The Windows 10 update installer app downloaded. It has hogged me for the past week, with me having to abort multiple updates, not wanting to lose my pc again. I am a student, and can not afford a new one, but just recently I gave up and let it update. It quit out halfway through, as usual, and went back to the same condition it was at. Nothing works.

This is not like last time, I had to get a Windows 10 system on a usb, and repair my boot loader last time. This time, Windows simply won't do anything. It's currently telling me the only option left is a hard reset.

I have physically tried everything besides a hard reset. I refuse. Why should I lose my personal belongings, when it's out of my control? This is not an issue with anything except Windows. What can be done about this? I am very disappointed in the fact this has ruined my computer, I really hope you can do something about this.

Moved from: Windows /Windows 10 /Performance & system failures

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2019 Views 22,698 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Roan,

As a student, I understand the importance of using your computer. When an update is available, it’s automatically downloaded and installed, keeping your device up to date with the latest features. Windows updates includes quality improvements. For your reference, you may want to check the latest improvements and fixes in Windows 10.

Furthermore, we’ve got a few handy recovery options for you to try. Don't fret, you can reset your PC to reinstall Windows 10. You'll get an option to remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

Please post back with the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Roan,

As a student, I understand the importance of using your computer. When an update is available, it’s automatically downloaded and installed, keeping your device up to date with the latest features. Windows updates includes quality improvements. For your reference, you may want to check the latest improvements and fixes in Windows 10.

Furthermore, we’ve got a few handy recovery options for you to try. Don't fret, you can reset your PC to reinstall Windows 10. You'll get an option to remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

Please post back with the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Hello, I recently turned my computer on, the asus logo appears, and then it restarts. Its been doing this for 20 minutes to no avail. I can't reach anything on it. There needs to be an option to disable windows updates, or this happens...

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger Safe Mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:  

1. Improper shutdown process       
  2. Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.       
  3. On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.   
  4. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.   
  5. Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. In the Search box, type Control Panel and press Enter.  
  2. On the upper-right window, under View by, click Category and select Large icons.   
  3. Search Control Panel for Recovery.  
  4. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.   
  5. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been avoiding updating my PC's to the latest version of windows 10 because it always seems to break some driver, or cause some startup issues on all of my computers, all of which are extremely different. I have a 2 in 1 that looses auto rotate every update, a regular laptop that ends up with bugged drivers, and now finally my desktop took the biggest hit.

After deciding to do some good PC maintenance, I updated my graphics drivers, my audio drivers and my USB drivers among other things (restarting to apply changes after every installation) I finally decided to take the plunge and run windows update. I left the update running while I went off to lunch and everything seemed fine. However, when I got back my PC was still in the middle of a restart. I thought nothing of it at first because sometimes the updates are quite large and require several restarts to complete, but after an hour I was curious how far along it had gotten and turned on my monitor to find it had not signal. In addition, it was restarting every 20 seconds or so. Only after an hour of trying to get into the BIOS menu to boot from a backup drive, I realized that none of my peripherals were active either.

I have a back-lit mechanical keyboard which was lit up, so I had assumed that it was connected and was working up until that point. So in summary, the USB ports had power but couldn't send or receive data. After a simple windows update my computer was unable to even post, had some kind of issue with the USB drivers, was incapable of video output, and was restarting every 20 seconds. The latest 2018 windows update turned my $700 desktop workstation into a steaming potato.

I am an electrical and computer engineering major in college and am a PC enthusiast. I tried every trick I know from trying to access the BIOS, to booting from a backup drive, to draining and replacing the CMOS. I tested the RAM, the power supply, the graphics card, and the hard drive. I tried every method I could find to boot into safe mode and every method of windows installation but none of it worked. 

I am deeply disappointed in the multi-billion dollar company that could, in a single update, turn my computer into a glorified desk ornament. I now have to either invest in new tools and adapters in an effort to somehow slvage my hard drive, or pay a repair shop an exorbent amount of money because I lack the tools necessary to fix this mess myself.

PC specs

CPU: i7 7700

GPU: AMD RX 480

1 TB HDD 

8 GB DDR4 RAM

600 watt PSU

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I honestly couldn't care less about my own computer. I'm not a selfish person, and the entire reason wasn't to honestly help myself fix my computer. I can get another one somehow, most likely a Mac from now on... I just want Microsoft to try and disable updates. I understand there are important security updates, but why do these proceed to break our computers? Just put it in a part of the Windows website for us people who don't want to update, and we are more than willing to have some extra hard drive space taken up to ensure security from hacks and ransomware, and these horrid Windows updates. Just let us disable them already. I'm incredibly displeased in this company, and I would like everyone to know that I've given up. I advise you to just move on to Mac, which is a shame because Windows is a superior OS in my opinion, but it doesn't have incompetent customer service and forced updates that break your computers. I also encourage people to fight Microsoft. There have already been lawsuits that people won about this exact issue, and if you can, please sue for all the property and time you've lost. I want to say, I still do support Microsoft, through less annoying products like Xbox, and Office. Please feel free to continue posting about your own issues in this thread. Thank you.

63 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you. I am an IT professional and I do important work on my computer. I cant afford to be down over an update that was very obviously not thoroughly tested. I would like to choose if and when I will except an update. The safest thing has always been to wait until the update is stable before you accept it. Microsoft has taken that away from us. My OS completely crashed and all restore points are not showing when i try to restore. I will love valuable data and time when the smoke finally clears. This laptop is less than 6 months old. Very sad.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm typing this on my phone, because yesterday my laptop running win10 had been nagging me to update. I delayed it for a couple of hours because I was going out and thought I'd let it do its thing while I was out...Well it sure has done its thing. I've just come to open the lid and met with which keyboard I wish..then a circular mental test to try and boot it up.. Nothing. This is a 6 month old HP laptop that was running sweet until today. 

How does a company get this far with such incompetent employees? 

If I have to do a reformat I stand to lose 100s of wildlife photographs I haven't yet had chance to back up. Thanks MS, I berate my wife for her overpriced Apple computer, I'm beginning to see her point, because right now your product sucks. I don't want to see a response about how you appreciate your users or how upset you feel. I want an answer that doesn't involve me joining a class action suit against your shabby approach, and losing all my files. 

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Absolutely fuming exactly the same has just happened to me, I've just lost 100s of pics, work documents, login details etc, I'm more than happy to join in an action suite against Microsoft... What exactly are you planning on doing to rectify what you have done to our laptops MICROSOFT????

47 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi VQQ I called ms. Waited 25 minutes before talking to someone. Went through the usual stuff about which OS did laptop come with from new (new 6 months ago with win10). Had me do a hard reboot, (taking battery out three times when turned on, to try and force it to self repair or give safemode option)..didn't work. Having their '2nd tier' techie call me back tomorrow between 9-11am. That is all so far. He even implied that the bios might need to be updated before the win 10 update. .I stopped him right there and said ms never mention anything if the sort before updates., so telling me that now is somewhat irrelevant.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Update. I was on the phone to India yesterday for about an hour. Was told 2nd tier techie would call me when I chose two hour window...So I said between 9 and 11am. 

Almost midday came and went with no call. I called them and was on hold for 25 minutes until agent #1 answered. I had to phonetically spell my name THREE times before he understood, it isn't difficult! A quick unproductive chat later and he said he was upgrading my call to the people who should have but hadn't called me earlier. On hikd another 30 or so minutes to be told by agent #2 that the people who shoukd have called me between 9 and 11 would do so in 30 minutes. Promise..That was 30 minutes ago. Still no call. Before hanging up he thanked me for  choosing microsoft. Imagine the hollow laugh I let out. He did admit though that the recent update has inundated them with problems which is why they're late returning calls.. Who knew eh? 

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.