Windows 10 update 1803 error 0x80244018 !

I've been repeatedly trying to download the 1803 update via WU and repeatedly the process stalls during download segment 

I will usually start downloading and then the process stalls at various percentages, oddly if the PC says it is at say 27%  downloaded 

if it stalls and I restart the PC it will then show 12% downloaded and continue to download I have managed to get it to 100% downloading but it never stops and stalls on 100% downloaded.  Another interesting thing is that when the download stalls it will cause my internet service light to turn red

so it's somehow turning off the servers??? Then after about 15 seconds the internet service will start again and the service light will go green once again. Very strange.  I almost wonder if high latency is causing some kind of odd time out with WU?

I noticed after using the Update Troubleshooter to reset the components I no longer get that error code but the download still stalls yet 

it's clear that WU is still trying to pull data down from the MS server. 

I have done various things such as reset windows update, delete the software dist folder, tried Windows 10 update assistant (which only says 

thanks for updating to the latest version of window 10 ---which it hasn't)

This is so exhausting and I'm a pretty savvy user, but not a power user level person. 

I'd love to just use a new ISO to install the latest version ,but I like many others have a BIG problem, a sloooow 768/128k internet connection and 

no other alternatives that are not hours away. 

Any tips? Thanks. 

Hello John,

The upgrade issue might be caused by a corrupted Windows system file if it still continues even after running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and resetting the Windows Update components. To help you resolve the issue, I suggest running the DISM command-line tool and the SFC tool on an elevated Command Prompt. Both tools will scan your Windows device for corruption in Windows system files and restore corrupted file. You will need administrative access to perform this procedure. For the steps on how to run the tools, please refer to this support article.

Let me know the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Devilin!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I ran both the DISM scanhealth, and sfc /scannow as well as chkdsk for good measure. 

No component store corruption was found in DISM, and both sfc and chkdsk report no problems or show any sign of bad sectors at all.

I'll add that my other PC totally different make and model reported the exact same 

error when trying to download 1803 as well as very similar download characteristics I pointed on for the first PC I mentioned. 

I do NOT use a proxy service in any way or a VPN either, just old fashioned ADSL wired to the PCs. 

It is very SLOW ADSL and can buffer a bit doing various tasks as well.  

I will also add that recent critical updates for my current 1709 DID both download and install 

on BOTH PCs! Interesting this was AFTER 1803 failed on both PCs. So updates is working.

Oddly I have noticed that only with Windows Updates do I get my modem internet service light 

to turn red when attempting to download something from it, BOTH PCs do this exact same thing. 

It's as if the connection isn't stable enough for the MS servers to want to stay connected...perhaps like I said due to high latency or buffering. 

There are a lot of us out here with sloooow internet which makes it difficult to use Windows 10 

updating services. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for responding back with the results. Another option to troubleshoot the update issue is reset the Windows Update components and create a new SoftwareDistribution folder for the update files. You can easily reset it with the help of the Reset Windows Update Tool created by Manuel Gil. Make sure that you're signed in as administrator before performing these steps:

1. Get the tool from this page.
  2. Click ResetWUEng.zip and select I agree.
  3. Save the zip file on your PC.
  4. Once downloaded, open the file and run ResetWUEng.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. Reset your PC once done.

I'll be waiting for the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, how do you sign in as the administrator?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2020 Views 6,217 Applies to: