Windows 10 - Two user folders, different names same content

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find my answer by searching.  I finally set up my Windows 10 pc and in the Users folder is a username I did not choose for myself - it's really stupid.  But at the top, there is a folder that IS the account I set up.  Both folders have the same files.  The folder at the top does not list a path and looks like it's equivalent with OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, Network and Control Panel.  I'm assuming that this is just an easier way to view my account and it points to this other user account.  But so that I don't confuse things, can the user name in the Users folder be changed to match the account name that I did set up? I didn't set up the user name in the User Accounts folder and it's not listed in User Accounts in control panel.  Very confusing.  Thanks.

By the way, this is a new machine and has only been used for a day.  Updates have all been done and only Office and Acrobat have been installed.

Hi,

To make sure that we will provide an accurate information, kindly send us a screenshot of the folders you are referring to.

Note: Please remove sensitive information like phone number and email address.

Looking forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had to do two screenshots to fit the list.  Screenshot1 shows the matzidog folder at the top, all of its files.  #2 shows a folder called "dreem" (which I did not create) under Users with the same folders and files that are in matzidog.  If I go into the Users setup, it only shows that I created Matzidog as a user.  Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to change some info, sorry about that.  I just saved an online file.  I saved it to documents under matzidog.  It shows up there AND in the documents folder under This PC.  It is not in the dreem folder.

So if dreem and matzidog are not the same folder, why doesn't matzidog show up in the Users folder?  what I would like is for matzidog to show up under users and to get rid of this "dreem" folder.  But in explorer, it looks like "dreem" is the only user in the Users folder.  

I know that this is probably basic information that other people already know and I'm sorry about that.  But I couldn't find answers online.  Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

to add:  matzidog and dreem had the same files until i saved this last file.  it was not duplicated in "dreem"  when I save it to "matzidog."  sorry about the confusion.  I need a windows 10 explorer (file system) instructor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for providing the screenshots. We would also like to know which version of version of Windows you are using.

To get the version of your Windows, press Windows key + R and type "winver" then press Enter.

We also suggest that you check for the latest Windows updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 2,275 Applies to: