Windows 10 Taskbar and Start Menu not responding

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and my taskbar and start menu are always unreposnsive. I can't even shut it down properly. I need to "hard" power-off my laptop a lot of times because of this issue. A lot of times Microsoft. 

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I’m sorry to know that Taskbar and Start menu not working after upgrading to Win 10. I can imagine how frustrating this must be on your end. Sorry for the inconvenience caused .Don't worry, I'll be happy to assist you with this.

Please follow the below methods and check if that helps: 

1. Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
    1. Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    2. Click File > Run New Task
    3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    4. Type CMD     
  2. Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image      /restorehealth
             sfc /scannnow

Please refer the below article for further reference

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

1. If   EITHER command does not show a good outcome, we need to stop and repair Windows. We have 3 options:
    1. Go Back: If there are other significant issues, or if the you are  not sure of using Windows 10, Go Back. The plan from there will be to clean up the configuration to prepare for an  upgrade.
    2. Reset: If possible, remove Antivirus/Sec .Software and perform a Reset (keeping data and settings). You will need to reinstall apps with this option.
    3. In-Place Upgrade: If the you are unwilling, we can  try uninstalling the Antivirus/Sec Software and try an in-place upgrade. We should set expectation.
  2. If the above commands both completed and  show no remaining issues, run these commands:

powershell
         Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like      "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode      -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3. Check to be sure this command ran, showed a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt.
    1. If you see a red error, then the command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be a larger  problem with Windows 10.  Try again.
  4. Check to see if the issue is resolved.
    1. If not, restart the PC. In this case try  as a new administrator user account.
    2. If the new user also fails, go up to the  steps for “3. If EITHER command does not show…” above. We need to repair  Windows.

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.
Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It started well, but I got a fault message when I put in the command in the Powershell

"PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Error: 87

An error occurred while processing the command.
Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid. For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

This was in the log file: "2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE:
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=768 TID=6688 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=768 TID=6688 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2015-08-31 16:09:41, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=768 TID=6688 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
"

What to do?

I could live with the no-startup-menu if the announement box did not cover 1/8 of my screen.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Zasa,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue.

We appreciate you for the effort and time you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to help you further from here.

From the last update, I understand that the suggested steps did not help to resolve the issue.

At this point, I would suggest you to perform an Automatic Repair and evoke a repair of the Operating System.

Automatic Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Automatic Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly. Run Automatic repair and check the issue status.

Create Windows 10 ISO: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please follow the below steps to perform the repair for the computer.

a) Insert the Installation Disk into the disk drive of the computer. Press any key from the keyboard when prompted to.

b) Follow the instructions till the Install Now screen and then Click Repair your computer.

c) Click Advanced Options.

d) Click Troubleshoot.

e) Click Automatic Repair.

f) Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great thanks for another solution! I will run Automatic repair another time.

Currently I got this working by reversing to Windows 8.1 and direcltly upgrade to windows 10 again.

Today I also recieved another update (God knows what it included, but I assume it has to do with all the start-up faults) why it might have worked if I just had waited another day.

All in all, it works now but I have certainly spent a week's worth of working hours on the Windows 10 issues!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2023 Views 7,903 Applies to: