(Windows 10) - 'System Sounds' Resets to 100%

I've been having this problem ever since I installed Windows 10. Pretty much, I set the System Sounds slider to 5% in the system volume mixer and randomly it will reset it's self to 100% making notifications very loud. 

Aside from re-installing Windows is there anything that can be done to solve this problem?

Hi Reece,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve these issues.  

1. Did you make any changes to the system prior to this issue?
  2. In which user account are you facing this issue?

Sign out form the current user account, restart the system and login to the admin account to check if that helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. I haven't made any changes to the system. I originally upgraded from Windows 8 to get the free upgrade offer, I then preformed a clean install straight away so can't be sure if the problem was present when I originally upgraded. 

2. I'm facing this issue in the admin account (the only account on this computer)

As the problem occurs randomly and can't be easily observed (only noticeable when a new notification arrives) I'm not sure if restarting has solved the problem.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've restarted many times and am using the admin account. The problem still remains. Is there anything else I could try?

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Reece,

Apology for the delay in response. I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. If in case problem still persist, try the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it helps you.

Method 1:

* Go to system tray, right click on Speaker Icon and select Sounds.

* Now go to Communication tab,

* There select Do Nothing radio button and click Apply and OK.

Now see if the problem still persist.

Method 2:

Update driver through Device Manager and see if it fix the issue.

a) Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

b) Spot and expand the “Audio inputs and outputs”.

c) Right click on the High Definition Audio Device driver and select “Disable”. When it prompts to choose an option, click OK. Close the Window, come back and try to re-enable it. Now check if the issue still appears.

d). If it does, then right click on the High Definition Audio Device driver and select “Update Driver Software”. When it prompts to choose an option How do you want to search driver, then go with Search automatically for updated driver software. If you have a driver available on your PC, then select Browse my computer for driver software, then select the appropriate location, where the driver located on your PC for updating it. (Ensure that PC is connected to Internet while performing this step)

e). Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem fixed. If it doesn't fix the issue, then Right click on the same driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see if it resolve the issue. (Recommended step)

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

47 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem, what I think caused it was a Windows 10 theme I tried to install previously, what worked for me was:

-Go to system tray, right click on Speaker Icon and select Sounds.

-Change the Sound Scheme: to Windows Default and click Apply and OK.

-Now open Volume Mixer and lower System Sounds again

To test if it worked, find any program and hover over More> and select Run As Administrator. If the sound that plays is lower, and if the System Sounds bar in Volume Mixer is still the same as you set it, then it worked.

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 71,722 Applies to: