Windows 10 System Restore Show More Restore Points Box Missing and Restore Points Being Deleted or Missing

Recently my PC had a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and went into "Windows 10 Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC” infinite loop death spiral after I let Windows automatically fix a driver problem.  I had to reinstall Windows 10 from a Dell recovery image and then run Windows Update through the Creator edition.  As a result, my PC is in a very clean state right now.

All manual restore points that I create are gone in few days as are any that are automatically created by System Restore.  "Turn on system protection" is checked and on for the C: drive.  "Max Usage" is about 28 GB.  The "Show more restore points" check box is missing when I try to do a System Restore.  On my laptop running Windows 10, the check box and restore points are not missing.

I have worked in Information Systems for over 28 years, and used Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, 7, and 10 and a few flavors of Unix and Linux.  I would like to know how to fix this problem in Windows.  It suggests either an unfixed Windows 10 bug or a not-well documented Registry fix.

Thank you.
Answer
Answer

Thank you for the information. We only explained the possible root causes on why you were experiencing the issue for in-depth analysis of your concern. We suggest that you post your query on our TechNet Forum to have further assistance from our IT Professional in resolving the issue. Click this link to be re-directed to the TechNet Windows 10 IT Pro Forum.

Let us know if you nee anything else. We're here to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Anne,

The solution is in this thread on the Acronis Forum:

Windows 10 System Restore Show More Restore Points Box Missing and Restore Points Being Deleted or Missing

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-backup-117/windows-10-system-restore-show-more-restore-points-box-missing-and-restore-points-being-deleted-or-missing#comment-form

Daily testing over a period of a week showed that my restore points were being deleted after I ran my Acronis Backup for PC incremental backups of my C: drive.  The Acronis Forum indicated that Acronis Backup for PC also uses the same Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) disk space as System Restore.  As such, it was overwriting/deleting the restore points whenever an incremental backup was run.

The solution was to increase the "Max Usage" from about 28 GB to about 56 GB so that there was additional disk space for VSS files created by Acronis Backup for PC.

Problem solved!

Steve

Steve

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2023 Views 3,098 Applies to: