Windows 10 stuck at lock screen, no login prompt, mouse, keyboard and usb ports do not work - iRULU Spiritbook S1L

I have an iRULU Spiritbook S1L that I just started using a few days ago.  It worked fine until today.  I can turn it on and it starts windows but when i get to the lockscreen there is nothing I can do.  The keyboard doesn't respond, touchpad does not work, usb ports don't seem to work.  I have tried hooking both a usb keyboard to it and also a usb mouse to it but neither worked, though the backlighting on both came on.  There are two usb ports on the laptop and i tried plugging each of them into each of the usb ports with no response.  I don't really know what else to try.  I can't use a recovery usb since the usb ports aren't working and i cannot do anything on the lock screen.  I have tried restarting it many many times.   Every few times the recovery screen comes up with the options see advanced repair options or restart but again I can do nothing since the keyboard/mouse/usb do not work.  

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, thank you

Hello Ronnie,

Your unsatisfactory about what happened is noted. Regarding this concern, without the main peripheral devices working in Startup Settings, it will be impossible to do anything. From here, we may now suggest you to consult the manufacturer in order to gain more assistance. A personal approach with the unit will be the best action.

Once that the unit is already in good condition, please bare that the system has to be kept updated, and backups are in place.

Feel free to update us about any results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was afraid of that.  I have contacted the company and they have asked me to return it for a replacement but I am concerned of my personal information on the laptop such as passwords, credit card information etc.  Is there anything I can do or should I not be worried about it?

Also, the laptop does have a microSD slot and a mini hdmi port, is there anything that can be done through either of these? 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update,

Regarding the query about what you can do with the micro SD slot, thinking that you have this will give an idea that you might be able to boot the installation/recovery media from here. I personally have not tested to boot a media installer from an SD slot. It can only be possible if the BIOS has the option to set it as a priority boot device.   

We can verify this by going to the Startup Menu and check under Boot Menu (F9) if the Micro SD slot is available and we can only do this if the keyboard will work (which gives us the hope since the Startup Menu can be accessed before the computer booted the OS).

Here is how to get to the Startup menu:

1. Turn on the PC and press/hold ESC key right before the manufacturer flash screen. A multiple beep will indicate that you are able to access the Startup Menu screen.

2. From the Startup menu screen, you need to find the Boot Menu button. Use the arrow keys to navigate from there. It is also usually assigned for F9 key. From here, you can check if the Micro SD slot is on the list.

3. Select the device where you wanted to boot from, press enter and wait for the PC to boot.

To set an expectation. If you're able to access the Start menu, this would mean that you can still boot the USB slot and it just so happened that when the OS is completely booted up, the peripherals will stop working. You can now proceed with the help of this link:  Recovery options in Windows 10. There are a few options for you to restore your Windows 10 Installation. In your case, we suggest you use the option "Use installation media to restore your PC".

Regarding your concern about the personal files that might be at risk. If the steps will work, then there's no need for us to worry about bringing the unit to the manufacturer for a replacement.

Update us about any result.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was unable to access startup menu from esc key.  My son has one of the same pc's though so I tried it on his and there is only one option under the boot menu, the SD slot is not listed.  

I was wondering if I used his to make a recovery file on the SD card if it would help?  If something is wrong with the drivers for the keyboard/mouse/usb slots would it look to the SD card for them?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

. . .

I was wondering if I used his to make a recovery file on the SD card if it would help?  If something is wrong with the drivers for the keyboard/mouse/usb slots would it look to the SD card for them?

Given that Micro SD is not available under Boot Menu, creating a recovery image or putting the drivers in there will not be a help at all. Perhaps, the reason for SDs not capable for boot is because of it being slow, compare to USBs which are reliable.

If we could no longer used the peripheral devices, this is now the best time to consult the manufacturer. Were you able to generate a backup of your personal files before this? I have a perception that they might do a clean re-installation of Windows if replacing it will not be an option. Doing this might wipe all the data on the hard drive and will no longer be recoverable.

It is best advised for you if you can approach them personally, instead of shipping the unit back, so you can discuss important things to them, and ask them if they can offer alternative solutions.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2024 Views 5,569 Applies to: