Windows 10 stuck after restart on blue screen "getting windows ready" for 12 hours

Few days ago after restarting my Lenovo PC a blue screen with " getting windows ready don't turn off your computer" appeared 

and no way to get windows desktop, even restatring again didnt help

had to leave it and wait about 12 hours to get the desktop again

restarting again had this issue all over again (12 hours wait)

I noticed previous failure to install windows update: KB4056887

I run windows update to check for updates and after awhile got the status:" your device is up to date : last checked 12.1.2018" I run it on 16.1.18

tried restarting and still have the issue with blue screen for 12 hours until it comes up to desktop, this is crazy....

Need Help ----  > How can this be fixed?

Thanks!

E

Moved From:

Hi,

Here are the possible reasons why your operating system doesn't load:

1. Corrupted/incomplete Windows updates
  2. Corrupted operating system
  3. Corrupted/incompatible driver
  4. Hardware failure

In the meantime, you may check this article to troubleshoot blue screen errors.

For more information about KB4056887, please click here.

Please post back with the result for further assistance. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi 

Thanks for reply

just a few words to explain again my problem

The issue happens only after I do a restart 

I get a " getting windows ready dont turn off  your computer" message 

see below I attached screen picture of the issue

There is no error code so I don't see how the article you attached can help me

the windows update check results are that all is up to date

but still when I restart the PC is stuck with this message for 12 hours until I get the windows desktop

in addition I was trying to install the update that failed manualy from ms update catalog but when I tried installing the process was stuck on running with no results while messaging: searching for updates...

I still need help with the steps on " How to fix this stuck message after I do a restart?

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

Thanks for reply

just a few words to explain again my problem

The issue happens only after I do a restart 

I get a " getting windows ready dont turn off  your computer" message 

see below I attached screen picture of the issue

There is no error code so I don't see how the article you attached can help me

the windows update check results are that all is up to date

but still when I restart the PC is stuck with this message for 12 hours until I get the windows desktop

in addition I was trying to install the update that failed manualy from ms update catalog but when I tried installing the process was stuck on running with no results while messaging: searching for updates...

I still need help with the steps on " How to fix this stuck message after I do a restart?

Thank you

Thank you for more information you've provided.

Since the article provided doesn't help, we'd like to ask if your computer is connected to the internet? If so, please disconnect it first, then restart your computer. Please see if the issue will still occur.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes - it is connected to Internet

Yesterday after 12 hours wait the PC got back to the desktop after reading some of the old threads around this issue here and I tried following:

disconnected network cable from pc, disabled wifi, verified no network available, I then selected from start menu: SHUT DOWN (not restart)

then disconnected power cable and other usb devices and pressed the power button 30 sec, waited 2 min and then reconnected power cable and pressed power button---> the desktop came up immidiately 

now, I repeated all same steps except that I selected from start menu : RESTART (no connection to network) ---> the blue screen with " windows getting ready" message  was back to another 12 hours  :(

What now???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes - it is connected to Internet

Yesterday after 12 hours wait the PC got back to the desktop after reading some of the old threads around this issue here and I tried following:

disconnected network cable from pc, disabled wifi, verified no network available, I then selected from start menu: SHUT DOWN (not restart)

then disconnected power cable and other usb devices and pressed the power button 30 sec, waited 2 min and then reconnected power cable and pressed power button---> the desktop came up immidiately 

now, I repeated all same steps except that I selected from start menu : RESTART (no connection to network) ---> the blue screen with " windows getting ready" message  was back to another 12 hours  :(

What now???

In this case, we suggest performing a System Restore to get your computer back to its previous state. To do so, you may check DaveM121's post on this link.

We'll be waiting for the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With system restore the problem is that I already tried doing it a week ago , used my windows install DVD to get to the repair section the only retore point was 9.1.18 - i tried it but it never succeeded to do the restore

yesterday tried restore again but it gave me only to 20.1 - the restore suceeded but seems that it already has the issue so its useless

Is there any way to repair the windows update tool or to reset the pool of updates in PC?

As I previously wrote it all seems to began with the security update that failed to install: 

{3E55ECAA-5B97-4931-963A-513CF4C9B0B2} 2018-01-15 12:22:50:549+0200 1 182 [AGENT_INSTALLING_FAILED] 101 {5939AE06-AA6D-4767-B0A3-2044F6424810} 200 8007045b UpdateOrchestrator Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007045b: 2018-01 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056887). /DYPKlKK50WwfRfz.1.16.1.3.0

I previously tried also the suggested method by microsoft MVP to shut down windows processes change the distribution folder and restart process but it didnt solve the issue the result however where that I can no longer see anything under "update history" though I can see in events  log that windows update is working and new updates are successfully installed every day with PC comes to live after 12 hours of stuck

I wanted to update windows 10 to latest with windows 10 creation media tool . Can it help to solve the problem? if so how to do it correctly?

most important: Will I lose all my data and installed programs?

Appreciate your help

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With system restore the problem is that I already tried doing it a week ago , used my windows install DVD to get to the repair section the only retore point was 9.1.18 - i tried it but it never succeeded to do the restore

yesterday tried restore again but it gave me only to 20.1 - the restore suceeded but seems that it already has the issue so its useless

Is there any way to repair the windows update tool or to reset the pool of updates in PC?

As I previously wrote it all seems to began with the security update that failed to install: 

{3E55ECAA-5B97-4931-963A-513CF4C9B0B2} 2018-01-15 12:22:50:549+0200 1 182 [AGENT_INSTALLING_FAILED] 101 {5939AE06-AA6D-4767-B0A3-2044F6424810} 200 8007045b UpdateOrchestrator Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007045b: 2018-01 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056887). /DYPKlKK50WwfRfz.1.16.1.3.0

I previously tried also the suggested method by microsoft MVP to shut down windows processes change the distribution folder and restart process but it didnt solve the issue the result however where that I can no longer see anything under "update history" though I can see in events  log that windows update is working and new updates are successfully installed every day with PC comes to live after 12 hours of stuck

I wanted to update windows 10 to latest with windows 10 creation media tool . Can it help to solve the problem? if so how to do it correctly?

most important: Will I lose all my data and installed programs?

Appreciate your help

Thank you!

You may check Andre Da Costa's Forum Article on how to upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1709 Fall Creators Update Using ISO File from Versions 1703, 1607, 1511 or 1507.

Note: You will have the option of choosing what you would like to keep, which includes personal files, apps and setting.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2023 Views 4,947 Applies to: