Windows 10 slow right click

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, recently purchased with Win8.1

I wasn't overly keen on the way 8.1 worked so I jumped on the upgrade to 10.

I have noticed however that the boot time is mush slower than 8.1 and the right click function on most things is also quite slow.

I have all the latest updates and I usually only run one application at a time: my machine usage is pretty low, I have plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

What can be causing the poor response and how do you plan to resolve it?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I know, that this question is over a year old but i ran into the same problem yesterday and could solve it.

In my case the problem was the nVidia entry, that was not present in the context menu. I recently switched from an older nVidia graphics card to a more recent AMD (since my CPU is an AMD). I also ran into the problem that my third monitor seemed to get input but did not show anything.

Both problems were solved by cleaning up my system from leftover nVidia files (also the context menu entry) with 'Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)'. I started the tool, selected the 'reboot to safe mode' option and let it remove all nVidia leftover files. You have to explicitly select nVidia in the right section since the tool detects your currently used card.

After reboot, my third monitor (like magic :D) started to work again and the desktop context menu behaves like usual.

Hope this can help someone with similar problems.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Current setup: i5 Gaming PC on current Windows 10 build, Surface Go on Insider Fast and an original XBox One.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

right click slow

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the same problem. Windows 10 on ASUS G551JK with 16 GB RAM. Strange but true problem. I have downloaded the below shown software, went to Options Menu and checked on "Hide All Microsoft Extensions". Then, I clicked on "Type" to re-order "Context Menu" and started to disable only the Context Menu one-by-one and finally, I found that "TheDesktopContextMenu Class" was the main problem (in my case) which is from INTEL. You need to right-click on the selected item(s) one-by-one and disable it. Please try like this to find in your system(s) if there is anything else. Just make sure to press Ctrl+E while the ShellExView window is selected which will restart the Windows Explorer to bring the changes in effect.

Thanks & regards,

Tuhin.

IT WORKS

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My right-click had become slow too, and in my case it was because of Google Drive. I removed GDContextMenu from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers in regedit and it is now instant again.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My right-click had become slow too, and in my case it was because of Google Drive. I removed GDContextMenu from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers in regedit and it is now instant again.
Unfortunately, wolfram77, this seems to be transient solution.  Windows reinstates these registry entries after a while, in my case without even a reboot.  At first it is wonderful to have a functional right click again, but then Microsoft's enforced drudgery reappears, and everything slows down again.  It's terrible.  It's deeply ironic that even Windows 3.1 was faster.  I am now trying to cultivate the habit of using keyboard shortcuts, rather than using the tediously slow right click.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that it is an old post, but really, thanks a lot!!! Solved my problem. Now my laptop is fast again :)

Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that it is an old post, but really, thanks a lot!!! Solved my problem. Now my laptop is fast again :)

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply.

Please mark it as answer.

T.Ch..

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the same problem. Windows 10 on ASUS G551JK with 16 GB RAM. Strange but true problem. I have downloaded the below shown software, went to Options Menu and checked on "Hide All Microsoft Extensions". Then, I clicked on "Type" to re-order "Context Menu" and started to disable only the Context Menu one-by-one and finally, I found that "TheDesktopContextMenu Class" was the main problem (in my case) which is from INTEL. You need to right-click on the selected item(s) one-by-one and disable it. Please try like this to find in your system(s) if there is anything else. Just make sure to press Ctrl+E while the ShellExView window is selected which will restart the Windows Explorer to bring the changes in effect.

Thanks & regards,

Tuhin.

IT WORKS

Thank you for the reply.

T.Ch..

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much, i've had this problem for a while now. I didn't want to mess with registry keys :P.

I tried this method before but forgot to do the CTRL+E, now it works like a charm, Intels "TheDesktop..." also was the culprit for me. 

A thousand thanks

~Nikolaj

Thank you for the reply.

T.Ch..

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the same problem. Windows 10 on ASUS G551JK with 16 GB RAM. Strange but true problem. I have downloaded the below shown software, went to Options Menu and checked on "Hide All Microsoft Extensions". Then, I clicked on "Type" to re-order "Context Menu" and started to disable only the Context Menu one-by-one and finally, I found that "TheDesktopContextMenu Class" was the main problem (in my case) which is from INTEL. 

Thanks & regards,

Tuhin.

Yes, in my case it was Nvidia CPL, thanks Tuhin Chakravorty.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 70,576 Applies to: