Windows 10 signed in with a temporary profile

Windows 10 has proved quite the most time consuming and worst update that I ever made to a computer.  Here's the latest in a long line of problems: each time I power up the computer, it tells me I've been signed in with a temporary profile, that I cannot access my files, and that files will be deleted when I sign out.  How might I fix this?
Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. 
We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

1. How many user accounts, do you have on your system?
2. How do you login to your system? ( Microsoft account or local account) 
3. Are you connected to domain network? 

Let's try to  refer to the suggestions provided by Vijay B replied on April 15, 2015, to fix your issue. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/windows-10-youve-been-signed-in-with-a-temporary/03b53fba-0c3e-48b9-b6a1-8382d51de633

If you are able to log in to your Default Profile then from the Built in administrator account, try to create a new user account and transfer the profile data.

You can check your files in the new user account folder, which is created from the Built in administrator account. If it is available, then copy these files from the new user account folder and paste it to a temporary location on This PC . Then, paste these files to This PC>Local Disk(C:)>Users>Default user profile folder and check, if it helps. 

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there.  Thanks for getting back quickly.  To answer your questions:

I have 2 user accounts.

I believe that I'm logging in with a Microsoft (Outlook) account.

I don't think I'm connected to domain network, but I'm not sure what that means.

I'll try to follow the steps that you suggest, but I'm afraid what you good experts take for granted in knowledge (about transferring data profiles for example) is often hard to access for us mere user mortals...

Thanks, Paul 

Sorry this didn't help.

To follow, up Antony.  I ran the net user administrator /active:yes and after the scannow command, the system indicates that windows resource protection did not find any file corruptions or violations.  I can find no folder under local disk(C:)>users that has a default user profile.  Is that the issue?  If so, how do I fix, please?  

Sorry this didn't help.

PaulC_969 wrote:

...I really do appreciate the help as it was more detailed and accurate than some of the other posts and had me up & running again on a system that I use for a small business.       

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d4bf19d8-c9d4-4fa8-bf9b-fe02f18b46a9

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

It just happened to me. I noticed that it was taking a while longer than usual at login, as though it were installing updates or something. Then I was in with the temporary profile. I ran nothing. I just Alt+F4, Sign off, went back to login screen and logged again with the very same account and it was normal again.

It is a Local Administrator account. I have another profile on the PC for my wife without any Administrator privileges. Maybe I was just lucky but I still think that I got logged in without the upgrades finished installing or something. Logging off and in again fixed it.

No complicated solution although I'm very experienced with PC and windows and could have done it all as suggested in other posts by "MS Helpers" easily, it was totally unnecessary at this time. Just came looking for a reason for this to happen and it's not just corrupted profiles. My profile is ok and I would do a System Restore before doing any of the "suggestions" from MS Helpers. They always seem to me like they are reading from a book. No matter what's the issue, they always have the same question and suggestions.

I strongly advise not to mess with your main profile through Regedit or elevated CMD and the Built In ADMIN account before trying the simplest solution. Log off and Log in again. And always have all your profile and main files and stuff in a secondary HD for back up.  I just copy my User profile to the other HD, often enough, not replacing files with the same name but just adding the new ones instead, unless I know that a original profile file has been changed then I overwrite it. I don't take chances with my stuff. Haven't lost a single thing since 1996 except once when the main HD crashed and after installing a new secondary HD, the old one, made primary crashed again before I could copy the files. That was a long time ago and bad enough. And still lost just a few files since I had a 3rd HD at the time. Long before TB's HDs. Now only 2 can get the job done.

Sorry this didn't help.

please help me!

my laptop decided to update itself to windows 10 and when it did, i did not know that a was logged into a temporary account. i moved my files from my original account to the temporary account's desktop. after i restarted my laptop due to it slowing down, it reverted me back to my original account but now all my desktop files are in the tmeporary account! please help me! i have tried pandora recovery and piriform recuva and it does not show the desktop folders. please help me!! all my works and school stuff are in there!! please help!! 

your help is greatly appreciated.

Noodlerah

Sorry this didn't help.

please help me!

my laptop decided to update itself to windows 10 and when it did, i did not know that a was logged into a temporary account. i moved my files from my original account to the temporary account's desktop. after i restarted my laptop due to it slowing down, it reverted me back to my original account but now all my desktop files are in the tmeporary account! please help me! i have tried pandora recovery and piriform recuva and it does not show the desktop folders. please help me!! all my works and school stuff are in there!! please help!! 

your help is greatly appreciated.

Noodlerah

Not sure if I can help but let's try. If you "moved" your files while in a temp account, it means you had access to them. (might have just copied i/o moving but it's ok). What I can suggest is accessing as administrator.

1) Log in with your account, hit the search button in the task bar, type CMD, right click on it and "Run As Administrator" - Do not use Winkey+R for this or you will not be able to run as administrator
2) At the CMD prompt type
C:>net user administrator /active:yes
It should say something like "command executed correctly"
If you do not run as administrator, you will get an error message
3) Restart the PC

There should be a "Administrator" account besides your own Login name at the Login Screen. Log in with the Administrator account. It should have the same password as your own Account. Once inside it, you can open the File Explorer and go to the Folder "Users" on C:

There will be a few accounts and it is likely your files are in one of them. As Administrator, you can access and control all of them. When you find your files, just Cut, go back to Users and find your own account folder, choose where to place the files and Paste.

PS.: Once you're good and done, run CMD again (this time you can do with Winkey+R, CMD, enter. You are already elevated to full system administrator.

At the CMD prompt type
C:>net user administrator /active:no

Got the ok message? Then you're done and safe again. I won't let elevated system administrator on for safety reasons. Just use it when you need to log with the Administrator account. Hope it works out. Let us know. =))

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2020 Views 5,597 Applies to: