Windows 10 search consumes memory and doesn't respond when I perform a search in "my stuff"

Cortana is disabled for my region/language settings  

when I search and click my stuff,  the window becomes gray and start menu no longer responds.  ctrl+alt+del -> task manager shows microsoft windows search indexer taking about 50% cpu and %50 memory and increasing.  but the search doesn't respond neither start menu and everything becomes slow.   

before this happened I have added almost everything to the indexing options.  is windows search very limited and can't handle a lot of storage?

the search might not have finished indexing. leave it on for a while, it'll come around. On my machine I have about 150K plus items indexed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have 1,230,000 items indexed so far.  it's not a problem that takes time to index. the problem is search no longer respond to searches.  it just increases in memory and freezes the start menu and the taskbar. 

Sorry this didn't help.

It isn't solved yet.  but I removed many items from being indexed and the speed increases. but I think that defeat the purpose of search. in the first place we need search to be able to find items among many.  there is problem with performance with large database

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2020 Views 1,634 Applies to: