Windows 10 Search Bar Opening Bing Instead of Programs

Hello! For a long time now, to open applications which I commonly use I've used the search bar. It's very quick and easy - but recently it's stopped working. For example, when I want to launch HyperV I'd simply hit the Windows key on my keyboard then type in 'hyperv' and hit enter, quickly - the application opens. Recently, when I type the same search request, I'm getting different search results and for some applications it just opens a bing search in Microsoft Edge, which isn't even my default browser..... I'll attach screenshots below for a couple of examples, but for each of these examples, I used to type the exact query I'm typing here and the program would just open..... Not sure what's changed, but it's highly annoying. Do any of you Windows gurus have insight to bring back proper search functionality in Windows 10?

Both League of Legends and Hyper-V are both loaded on the PC, and they're on the start menu.

Hyper-V search response - when I type in hyperv, it opens 'Turn Windows Features on or off' ...... that response couldn't be further from 'hyperv' And yes, I know, Hyper-V has a - in the name. Typing the - yields the same results, and I used to open the program in half a second by even just typing 'hype' and hitting enter.

Similarly, to quickly launch my favorite game League of Legends i'd simply type in 'league', hit enter, and walla - we're in the game. Nowadays, I type in my league prompt and Windows decides to launch a bing search from Microsoft edge :) Which again, is not even my default browser :)

Here's another one - OBS studio. Hit windows key, simply type 'obs' then hit enter, I'm recording. Nowadays I get another bing search :)

Any help or feedback at all would be much appreciated - this is not one of those major gamebreaking issues, but it's just one of those annoying pricks stuck in your shoe you feel with every step :) Would make life much better if anyone here knows a fix! TIA

Hello TonyToneST,

Good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you. When was the last time it worked properly? What is your current Windows operating system and version? Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: winver

Please try the following methods below.

Method 1.
**Please try to check first this support article.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/w...

Method 2.
**Please try to run SFC and DISM to check for any system errors and corrupted files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...
After that, restart your computer

Method 3.
**Repair all Windows apps via PowerShell
Windows key+X then select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
Copy and paste the command below one at a time then press Enter. Please ignore the red errors and let the process complete.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Restart your computer

Method 4.
**Turn On or Off Search online and include web results
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25016-turn-...

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 1,143 Applies to: