Windows 10 SCREEN TURNS OFF/ON WHEN PLUGGING/UNPLUGGING POWER CORD

As the issue told already in the title, after upgrading to windows 10, and then i am facing such problem i.e. the screen is flashing or turning off and then on whenever i switch off the power supply or turn on the power supply. Need help.....

Note: I had updated intel graphics driver from windows update and Nvidia graphics driver from Nvidia website with latest windows 10 driver. I dont really remember that is this problem from beginning or after driver installations, but I feel that the drivers are right for windows 10 and my device. Still if I am wrong then please rectify my error . 

Waiting for answer. Thanks in advance. :-)

Hi Tiyas,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community and showing interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description you could not access anything as the screen is blinking. The screen flickering/blinking issue that we are experiencing after an upgrade to Windows 10 is mainly due to the security software (Norton Antivirus).

Try the methods provided below and see if it helps.

Method 1: Boot the computer in safe mode.

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows Startup Settings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

• F4 for Safe Mode
  • F5 for Safe Mode with Networking
  • F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Method 2

I would suggest you to disable security software temporarily (Norton if installed) and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

NoteAntivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3

In addition to that try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

The issue could also be related to the Display drivers and other updates. I want to inform you that updates will be released by Microsoft. So, I would suggest you to keep checking your Windows updates not only important one but optional too. If any available try to install them and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP. I really appreciate your assistance. 

But I found the solution myself after a hard research on it. IT WAS MY OWN MISTAKE WHICH USUALLY MANY USERS MAY COMMIT KNOWINGLY SO AS TO GET THE MAXIMUM ADVANTAGE FROM THE PC.

I had did a change in my REFRESH RATE when my device was plugged in AC but i had not did the same when it was in my battery charge. Due to this reason, I was having trouble when I removed my AC power supply and when i plug it back in. The main problem was that the screen FLICKER and go BLACK SCREEN for 2 seconds and comes back.

Finally, after a lot of research, I found that I have to keep or change both time the refresh rates while plugged into AC and while using only battery. So I changed the refresh rate of my monitor as well as my primary intel graphics adapter to 40 hz as it is suitable in both the cases whereas 60 hz frequency is not suitable for my device while in battery. Hence solved.

Sources : Display screen flickers (blinks goes blank or blac... - Lenovo Community

Note: The above source is for all devices (NOT ONLY LENOVO)

75 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As the issue told already in the title, after upgrading to windows 10, and then i am facing such problem i.e. the screen is flashing or turning off and then on whenever i switch off the power supply or turn on the power supply. Need help.....

Note: I had updated intel graphics driver from windows update and Nvidia graphics driver from Nvidia website with latest windows 10 driver. I dont really remember that is this problem from beginning or after driver installations, but I feel that the drivers are right for windows 10 and my device. Still if I am wrong then please rectify my error . 

Waiting for answer. Thanks in advance. :-)

my problem is only happening when the power supply plugged in . I have switched out my power supply with a supply that I know works. The same problem came back . I have a new lap top  and you won,t believe it but i ran a scan  and found that it had 12 drivers missing or out of date  . i had to update all drivers and i still have this problem . I have already tried method #3 . And my lap top came with windows 10 already installed . So now what ?  I believe that you guys at microsoft don't have a clue as to what is causing the problem .  I am getting very upset with microsoft not handling these problems quickly. I spent over $500.00 on this lap top . I need my lap top everyday for my job. Had I known I was going to have so many problems , I would have bought a computer with the fruit on it . But I am stuck now, I just can't go down everyday and buy a new lap top.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its work for me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP. I really appreciate your assistance. 

But I found the solution myself after a hard research on it. IT WAS MY OWN MISTAKE WHICH USUALLY MANY USERS MAY COMMIT KNOWINGLY SO AS TO GET THE MAXIMUM ADVANTAGE FROM THE PC.

I had did a change in my REFRESH RATE when my device was plugged in AC but i had not did the same when it was in my battery charge. Due to this reason, I was having trouble when I removed my AC power supply and when i plug it back in. The main problem was that the screen FLICKER and go BLACK SCREEN for 2 seconds and comes back.

Finally, after a lot of research, I found that I have to keep or change both time the refresh rates while plugged into AC and while using only battery. So I changed the refresh rate of my monitor as well as my primary intel graphics adapter to 40 hz as it is suitable in both the cases whereas 60 hz frequency is not suitable for my device while in battery. Hence solved.

Sources : Display screen flickers (blinks goes blank or blac... - Lenovo Community

Note: The above source is for all devices (NOT ONLY LENOVO)

Worked for me 👍. Thank you! 🙂

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And since you didn't include HOW to do this, I will do so here. This worked! Thanks so much!!!

To reduce the refresh rate of your monitor, do the following:
  1. Right-click on Desktop and click on Display Settings.
  2. Scroll down to Display Adapter Properties and click on link
  3. Go to Monitor tab and select another refresh rate from Screen refresh rate:
  4. Click OK.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's very simple...

1. Go to Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel.

2. Click on Media tab.

3. Check on Override "Application Settings".

4. Apply and OK.

Problem Solved.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are using Intel HD Graphics I may have the solution for you!

1. Access the Intel HD Graphics control panel.

1a. Go to your taskbar and click the arrow icon close to the right side of the taskbar.

1b. Once it has been expanded search for the Intel HD Graphics icon. It should look like this.

1c. Right click it and choose the Graphics Properties option.

2. Good, wait for the control panel to load.

2a. Once it has loaded choose the power option.

2b. In the top bar there should be 2 tabs Plugged in and On Battery. Click on the On Battery tab.

2c. Within those there should something about Display Refresh Rate Switching. 

2d. Click on the disable choice, and apply it.

3. After you click apply, test if it continues to blink by turning the charger on and waiting a few seconds and off. If it doesn't blink anymore than the problem is fixed.

Can't help you further than this because this was the only thing I needed to do.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A similar problem occurs using a bootcamp windows in MacBook Pro (model 2012).  The moment the laptop gets plugged to the power cord (charging) the screen turns black. Removing it from power makes the screen bright again.

In my case, I just had to increase the brightness again when the screen turns black upon plugging in. It seems this problem constantly reappears after an automatic update.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 37,733 Applies to: