Windows 10 RPC server unavailable at login - Automatic reboot

Hi,

I work in an IT department with ~2.500 Users.

For a couple of weeks, several users (around 15) are suddenly experiencing a bug during login. They get an error message during startup, telling them that the computer will be restarted in one minute. After the automatic restart they are able to log in as usual.

During analysis I found several entries in the event log that services are failing to start due to the RPC service not being available. The restart seems to be caused by the settings of the RPC service, which is set to reboot the computer if it fails to start.

I have not found anything about the cause of the RPC server failure. This is happening to the same users and I have not found anything that links them together (special software installed, hardware model, OS version).

We are running in a highly automated environment, so differences in driver versions or software versions should not be happening.

I tried reproducing the error with one of the users computers (gave her a new one and took the one producing the error). The error does no longer happen at her new notebook nor can I reproduce it on her old notebook.

I am completely lost. Any ideas are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I'm Jin, a fellow Windows 10 user and an independent advisor.

The community is designed for end-user consumers of Microsoft products. Since the scope of your question is for server failures, kindly post this query to TechNet which is a Microsoft web portal and web service for IT professionals. In TechNet you'll find a dedicated section for server issues and you'll be answered by experts that is knowledgeable with using a server.

You can use the link below so you can post your question in TechNet:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-...

Kind regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2020 Views 21 Applies to: