Windows 10 RDC insists to log me in with a microsoft account

After a windows update, i cannot connect to my server, because RDC insists to use my microsoft account as login on a server with a local account.

This bug prevents me from connecting to my server, because i get this weird message on RDC

This bug causes some other bug with samba, where windows forgets what my mapped network drive is

I've tried:

• Editing the credentials from within RDC

• Deleting the Default.Rdp file in documents

• Deleting the entry within Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Servers

• Using credential manager to delete the passwords.

• Deleting the credentials from RDC

• Giving the server a new hostname

Is there a way to fix this instead of reinstalling windows on my server and pc

It sounds like you're technical and have some experience with this, so forgive me if you've already tried what I suggest here.

My suggestion is to prefix the server's name ahead of the local user account that exists on the server. The name of the server is probably what you're already putting into the "computer to connect to" box (unless you're using IP address to connect).

So if the server name is "server" and your username is "kkaupas", you would type your username out as server\kkaupas (and then whatever password).

Important: You may need to click "more options" at the bottom of the password page before you can type in your own username instead of having it try your Microsoft Account.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2022 Views 76 Applies to: