Windows 10 Quick Access is missing "Frequent Folders" and "Recent Files" sections

Hi,

I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (with updates installed up to September 08) on a Dell XPS L702X.

Recently the "Frequent Folders" and "Recent Files" options have disappeared from the default Windows 'Quick Access'. Instead, everything - all recent files & folders - are lumped into one list. See fig. 1 below:

I have tried setting and resetting the "Show recently used files in Quick access" and "Show frequently used folders in Quick access" settings (see fig. 2 below), but to no avail.

I have even tried "Restore Defaults" for anything related to File Explorer, but nothing seems to work.

I have looked at a similar question by 'JLSturm', but the answer there does not seem to work for me.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards,

M Patel

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check this registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{24ccb8a6-c45a-477d-b940-3382b9225668}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

& see what the 'GroupBy entries look like.  Mine are thus:

"GroupBy"="System.Home.Grouping"

Good Luck,

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Check this registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{24ccb8a6-c45a-477d-b940-3382b9225668}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

& see what the 'GroupBy entries look like.  Mine are thus:

"GroupBy"="System.Home.Grouping"

Good Luck,

Keith

I suddenly have the same problem with my Windows 10 Professional system. I checked {24ccb8a6-c45a-477d-b940-3382b9225668} in the registry, but there is no Value called "GroupBY", only "(Default)", "CanonicalName" and "Layout Type"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apology; I found "GroupBy" settings under the subkey: {HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{24ccb8a6-c45a-477d-b940-3382b9225668}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. GroupBy Value data are 'System.Home.Grouping'

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My apologies  for the bum steer --- I had just started investigating the preset folder views & while that key is the template, it's not where things go wrong.  Pretty sure I can help this time because I managed to recreate you problem!   :-)

WooHoo!!!

So here are the steps to fix it:

1. Open Regedit & Task ManagerClose all File Explorer windows.
  2. In Task Manager, Locate Windows Explorer near the bottom of the Processes list. Select it, right-click & End task.  This will kill your Desktop but open apps are functional & you can Alt+Tab between them.
  3. Alt+Tab to Regedit, Ctrl+F to open the Search dialog, search for "Bags" --- search only in keys.  This should take you to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
  4. Ct rl+F again & paste the following value into the search box:

{24CCB8A6-C45A-477D-B940-3382B9225668}

Again, searching only Keys.
  5. You should find this key is a child of a key named "Shell" which in turn is a child of a numerically named child of "Bags"
  6. Delete the numbered key.
  7. Ctrl+F again & search for "Streams", only search keys.
  8. This should land you at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams

9. If this key has a subkey named "Defaults", see if that contains a value named
    {24CCB8A6-C45A-477D-B940-3382B9225668} and if so, delete it.  If not, you're done!
  10. Alt+Tab  to Task Manger.  File ->Run new task -> "explorer".  This will restart the Desktop.
  11. Open File Manager & your Quick Access should be grouped!!!

Whew!!!

Good Luck,

Keith

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot Keith!

While I hit a snag at step 4 itself - the "{24CCB8A6-C45A-477D-B940-3382B9225668}" key was not where you said it would be, and so I could not follow the rest of the steps, just the step of ending the "Windows Explorer" process seems to have done the trick.

After closing Windows Explorer, I used Task Manager to start a new explorer process, and now Quick Access has both Frequent Folders and Recent Files.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange you didn't have that value, but glad it's sorted.

keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Keith, thank you for all the information. Unfortunately, it does not solve the issue on my PC. I tried several times, of course after having made a registry backup, after having deleted everything in Quick Access. When I try to pin a folder to Quick Access I invariably get an error message "the parameter is incorrect".

I found that the long string value {-----) has 8 hits in my saved registry. I list them below, the first one comes after searching keys for "Bags" according to your instruction. The "Streams" search hits a key without "Default" subkey. It has three subkeys, 0, 1 and Desktop. Subkeys 0 and 1 have values ViewView2.

I abbreviated the keys below, hope it is clear enough.

HK= HKEY, HKCU= HKEY_Current_User, HKLM= HKEY_Local_Machine, LS=Local Settings, SW=Software, MS=Microsoft, Win= Windows, CV=Current_Version, Cl=Classes

1. HK_Classes_Root\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4792\ComDlg\{.......}

2. HK_Classes_Root\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4792\Shell\{.......}

3. HKCU\SW\Classes\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4792\Shell\{.......}

4. HKCU\SW\Classes\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4792\ComDlg\{.......}

5. HKLM\SW\MS\Win\CV\Explorer\FolderTypes\{.......}

6. HKLM\SW\Wow6432Node\MS\Win\CV\Explorer\FolderTypes\{.......}

7. HK_Users\S-1-5-21-315870.....-1000\SW\Cl\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4792\Shell\{.......}

8. HK_Users\S-1-5-21-315870.....-1000_Classes\LS\SW\MS\Win\Shell\Bags\4729\Shell\{.......}

I only deleted the numbered key ....4792\ of the second hit, with the Shell child. It does get rid of ComDlg child as well of course. I wonder if you have any ideas why this deletion does not work on my machine.

Best regards, Albert

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My reply was for the OP who had an issue with the saved view of Quick Access having lost its grouping categories.  The "Parameter is incorrect" is a different situation --- one that I haven't seen a definitive answer to at this point.

So for this post, I was directing the OP to the Bags key because that contains all Saved folder views.

Not having any long {......} entries under Streams simply means you haven't used "Apply ot Folders" to set a template for all folders of a given type.

So, if your view of Quick Access was grouped before you deleted your Bags subkey, you wouldn't notice any difference.

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Keith - but this key {24CCB8A6-C45A-477D-B940-3382B9225668} appears in at least 5 locations under HKCR\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\NNNN...

I'm reluctant to delete all of them!

Deleting the first one made no difference, and fortunately I saved the key and re-installed it. Maybe I'll try deleting them in turn, and see if that works...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can delete all the numbered subkeys of:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

and all you'll lose is save folder views.  None of them exist in a new user profile.  I was merely attempting a more "surgical" approach by searching for the UUID unique to the Quick Access folder.

The Bags entries under HKCR, HKCU, and HKU\<USER_ID>\Classes are all different views of the same underlying info ---- deleting one deletes the others.

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 11,214 Applies to: