Windows 10 questions and problems

My specs - Windows 10 Home x64 version 1511

1. Is there any way to set the ethernet network connection to metered to stop automatic updates because my home internet connection is metered and I do not want to update windows at home.

2. Is there an option to preview the update descriptions before installing them like Win7/8 because I do not want new updates installed immediately other than security patches which the 1511 update did (see below).

3. Why does the privacy options under settings keep resetting itself back on despite changing the settings to "off" several times. I think it resets itself to "on" after some time whenever a new update for microsoft apps is installed. The options which I can distinctly remember having to switch off repeatedly are "Location" "Contacts" and "Sync with devices"

4. Background apps also keep switching themselves on despite having turned them off like problem (3). Task manager also shows some errant background apps running.

5. Why can't I turn off the "give me updates for other microsoft products when I update windows" option? I do not have other Microsoft products like MS Office installed.

6. The 1511 update did not migrate some apps like ccleaner to the new version of windows. And it left a large directory windows.old on the harddisk. Can I delete windows.old? And there are  leftover directories under \Users like TEMP, TEMP.computername, Default.migrated - can they be deleted as well?

1. If you're using Ethernet you can't configure Windows 10 as a metered connection.

2. In Windows 10, Microsoft no longer provides descriptions of Windows Updates. The exception is for security updates: When an Update resolves an identified risk, the security risk that is addressed is identified.

3. After a Windows Update you will sometimes find Windows settings that have been mysteriously reset to default values, and this also happens in previous versions of Windows. It's an inevitable result of system files being replaced or changed by an Update.

4. In Windows 10 the default background apps are actually part of the operating system and so, like other processes, will switch on and off as needed. The confusion stems from the fact that Microsoft has taken to calling everything an 'app' in the hope that people will be persuaded to try out Windows Store. Like that's gonna happen.

5. The Home version of Windows 10 offers users no control over updates.

6. In individual configurations, the November update incorrectly uninstalled some applications. Percentage-wise, it affects very few configurations. Microsoft is aware of the problem, so you can be sure they're working on fixing it. Will we ever know why this happened? Don't count on it.

The windows.old folder makes it possible to revert to the previous build. You'll see one after major upgrades. (The next one is due in the middle of 2016.) It will disappear on its own after 30 days, or you can run Disk Cleanup to remove it on your own.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Then Win10 update is broken for me since I can't have it updating over every ethernet connection anytime it likes on its own.

3. Theres no reason why privacy settings can't be kept even if system files have to be updated. What you are saying is Microsoft is deliberately ignoring privacy settings.

4. No that doesn't make sense since there wouldn't be user configurable settings for background apps if that were the case.

5. Wrong. The pro version can delay feature updates and that has nothing to do with the setting I mentioned. In any case, it was working properly before.

6. That sort of attitude is why some people are sticking to win7/8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Speaking of attitudes ... find someone else to argue with. I'm just one of the Windows users in this community forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should take your own advise, especially after giving incorrect information in 4., 5.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should take your own advise, especially after giving incorrect information in 4., 5.

I think Bulldog had a reasonable and effort placed reply to all your questions which are too many to begin with...you have to accept Windows 10 the way it is or stay with what you had before...and if you want to play around with it find or make another disk partition and install just Windows 10 and continue with the project as an insider for free ...I feel for your aggravation ..I read and hear about all the update issues in this forum and try to help when I can.

Try the newer version Windows 10 ISO and see if you can run it from a boot disk or run it from within your current system by via the 'Setup.exe' file....

An clean install would be an ideal fresh start ...but that would mean starting all over again.*john

Windows 10 Tech Bench 10586 ISO 

mine...I'm out-of date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wasn't directing my frustration at him but at Microsoft, but looking back now, some of his replies could be seen as being defensive of the company.

Anyway is the tech bench download meant as a 'RTM' version or is it some sort of insider build with extra telemetry? IIRC Microsoft pulled the 1151(10586) iso download off their website after the auto update was released to deny users from fresh installing 1151(10586), which meant they weren't too happy with the version in the first place.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wasn't directing my frustration at him but at Microsoft, but looking back now, some of his replies could be seen as being defensive of the company.

Anyway is the tech bench download meant as a 'RTM' version or is it some sort of insider build with extra telemetry? IIRC Microsoft pulled the 1151(10586) iso download off their website after the auto update was released to deny users from fresh installing 1151(10586), which meant they weren't too happy with the version in the first place.

'it is a standard ISO to do with what you want...the newer version 10586 was replaced as I said long ago after it was pulled as you said...it 's up to you...I'm only making a descent suggestion...many have had success...others don't know what to do...some cases it was not the  answer...bla bla bla...and I'm not defending anyone  but my self...keep on experimenting.*john  
mine...I'm out-of date.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2022 Views 134 Applies to: