Windows 10: Programs open in maximized window

All my programs open maximized. I have the snap feature disabled. 

Original Title: maximized windows

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2019 Views 1,439 Applies to:

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Do you want the programs to open in a small window? With which programs do you have this issue?

2. What happens when you click on the “restore down” option, does the windows size reduce?

3. Do you want to multitask?

Please be informed that snap feature enables you to multitask between different programs and the window size of programs will be reduced.

Please get back with the above information to assist you better.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem with a few programs.. Most notably but not limited to IrfanView and Media Player Classic, as well as some system dialog boxes. For example: if I open the properties for my hard drive device and click "change settings," it starts the elevated properties dialog maximized, among others.

I can restore down all of them that have this issue, but they're always maximized when I first open them despite having the option to remember window sizes and positions enabled in the mentioned programs.

I also made sure the shortcut properties for each is set to run in a "normal window."

I want them all to start windowed, I multitask heavily and it's an annoyance I've never had before in Windows 8.1 and below. I feel like I've gone through every option I could think of that could cause the issue to no avail.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Please try like this. After you open a Window, try to resize it according to your requirement. Now close the window. Go back and try open the same window, to see if it opens in the same which you set before closing the window. Usually, window will take the size behavior according to the same size which it was before closing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Using Windows 10 Home, version

After recent updates all windows open in an extremely small way, I constantly need to use small square top right to bring them to the size I like.  I have checked properties on shortcuts, when programs are not open and ticked open maximised but this makes no difference when I open program.   Also have looked at settings display but it looks okay to me  What should I try next  ?

Sorry this didn't help.