[Windows 10 Pro] - Personalized sounds won't play

Hi. I just installed Windows 10 after years of avoiding it. I have already updated everything available. My computer play sounds (like music and videos) so this is not an Audio Device issue.

On Windows 7 I made an audio theme I'd like to re-do on Windows 10. I have all .wav audio files, and they all play correctly when I test them, but most just don't work. I can handle not having the predetermined beep with a custom sound, but I can't accept not having a login/logoff sound. 
I have a laptop with W10 with the exact same issue, so it's not the first time I Google this and read thousands of unanswered questions on this forums. Today I decided I would make my own question and see if someone has managed to solve it. To summarize the issue:

• Sounds like Connect/Disconnect device, Empty trashcan and Minimize window WORKS.
  • Sounds like Predetermined Beep and Login/Logoff DON'T WORK.
  • All audio files I'm testing are .wav and WORKED ON WINDOWS 7
  • Audio Drivers are updated. 
  • Music and videos play sounds without issues.
  • This issues are happening on a DESKTOP PC

Any way to fix this? It's a situation well known for those who like to fully customize their computers. This has been going on for a while now and I can't believe Windows hasn't solved it yet.

Thank you

Unfortunately the ability to use log on & log off sounds have been removed by Microsoft. I would send them feedback via Windows key + F to request these be returned.

There are workarounds though:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94884-how-p...
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94893-how-p...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).
Please do not download any repair tool which may be offered by this site other than the ones I mention/recommend.
Thoroughly research any product which is mentioned here before you decide to download and install it.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I’m sorry to see that you’ve marked my reply as not answering your question when I gave you honest information & a workaround for your problem.
Please note we are a user-to-user forum & are not Microsoft so your displeasure at them will not be seen.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't mark as an answer something that doesn't solve my problem.  Logon and Logoff are not the only sounds not working, first of all.
Second, I'm not looking for third-party software. I can mess around with the registry and PowerShell if that works, but we shouldn't download shady software to fix something this simple. Again, those links you provided are only for logon and logoff sounds.

I thank you for your answer but this doesn't solve the issue I'm explaining.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Which is the ‘predetermined beep’?
I use my own themes & log on, log off, start Windows & shutdown .wavs are the only sounds which do not play.
Do these sounds play under the sound settings within control panel?
Have these sounds been set correctly under the same?
Are they too long?
We’re they converted to .wav from another audio file?
What Windows version are you running - 1903, 1909 or 2004?
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to google the name of that sound in english, and apparently it's called Default Beep,  the one that sounds when you click on the volume bar. It's one of the few sounds I can't get to work.

The only thing that works is to set another of Window's sounds there. However, I don't understand why, since I can set up other sounds with the same file I'm trying to put on the beep. How long should that sound be?

Also, I activated the logon and logoff sounds from the registry and I can see and hear them, but they never play. I still don't know why. I figured if I can see and customize them, there HAS to be a way to make them play without third-party programs.

I'm using all .wav files, I don't remember if they were converted or not, it was a long time ago. However, again, the same file I wanna set up works in other sounds, so is not that.
I'm running 2004, last updated August 2nd 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The default beep on my PC is very short, My default Windows sounds shows 'Windows Background.wav' as the default beep.
It may be the default is corrupted.
I can upload the default beep for you to download if you wish.

If you select another sound for default it does suggest the original .wav file is corrupt.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2024 Views 712 Applies to: