Windows 10 Pro backup error

I'm trying to do a full backup of both internal drives in my Windows 10 Pro laptop - C: is an SSD and D: is a standard drive.

When I try to use "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" I receive the following error message after the backup progresses to 97% completion:

"The APPX file can not be accessed because it is not encrypted as expected." 

It includes an "Error Code:  0x80070199".

I am using an external USB drive as the backup destination drive  - it has plenty of free space.

Hi,
I'm Independent Advisor not Microsoft employee or support person. I have deep enough Windows knowledge and you may trust me. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

Please run
chkdsk C: /r /scan
and
chkdsk d: /r /scan
commands and see if there will be some errors found.
Check system journal (Event Viewer) for possible additional information about this error.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It would seem that I would benefit most regarding solutions specific to the error I reported - not general maintenance procedures.

Incidentally, I've already run chkdsk on both drives  - no errors. I've also run SFC - no errors. No other info in the event log regarding this error.

Note: I only get this error when I manually configure the backup to include internal drive D, but I can find on APPX file on drive D - hidden or not.
* please "Like" my comment if it helps. Thx! *

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd be glad to give you recommendations about this error exactly but it is not described in Microsoft documentation unfortunately.
Does backup include partitions without letter assigned? If yes, please assign letters and check those volumes, then remove letters.
Did you redirect some folders to D:?
Please check Event Viewer for additional information about this error.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 922 Applies to: