Windows 10 Pro activation key rubbed off

I purchased a cd of Windows 10 Pro at Microcenter on 12/28/17 for a computer I was building because the saleseople told me somenof the components I bought required Windows 10.

I finished the build today and installed Windows.  When I tried to reveal the activation key on the envelope, parts of the number rubbed off with the gray stuff.  

I tried to call support, but the woman tried to tell me to call the vendor.... her English was poor, and I don’t think she understood this wasn’t a pre-built computer with Windows installed.  When I complained that she couldn’t help me with this $150 piece of software I’d bought, she transferred me to a man who cut me off!

Is there a department or email, somewhere I can send photos of the receipt, packaging, and damaged product key so I can get some assistance?  This is absolutely ridiculous.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Answer
Answer

A number of users have been reporting issues recently removing the protective seal on Windows 10 OEM System Builder product key stickers. Unlike retail Windows 10 licenses, which come on a business size card in the box; the OEM Windows 10 System Builder product key is located on the certificate of authenticity sticker on the outside or inside of the package. To prevent theft, a protective seal covers the product key. Similar to a pay as you go phone card, users can utilize a sharp instrument such as a knife, scissor or even a coin to remove protective seal. See below:

Credit: Microsoft

Sometimes, if too much pressure is applied or liquid comes in contact with the sticker, this can damage the product key characters. When this happens, your best course of action is to return it to the reseller for a replacement or refund; since it might be a defective product. Contacting Microsoft might be an option, although the software firm has no responsibility for damaged product keys; since production is handled by a third party source. If vendor is able to provide a replacement, ask them to remove the protective seal for you, so you are not liable for damage if it happens again.

If you are unable to get any assistance from the vendor, contact Microsoft support and they might be able to replace it for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

What if Microsoft can't help either?

Your options are limited, you might have to cut your losses, or try salvaging the key yourself. The first option you can try using is a magnifying glass to enlarge the characters. If you don't have a magnifying glass, you can use digital camera or your smart phone to take a picture then blow it up on your computer. Below is a list of characters used and not used in Microsoft product keys:

Characters and numbers used:
2346789BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY

Characters and numbers not used:
015AEILNOSUZ

Sometimes a 6 could be easily mistaken for a G or a B for an 8, so look carefully. If the product key sticker is smudged, you could try using a damp Q-Tip to gently scrub the smudge covering the letters.  

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2024 Views 3,582 Applies to: