Windows 10 password reset disk

I am trying to create a password reset disk for my new windows 10 system using a local account. When creating a disk, the program asks to insert a flash drive into a nonexistence drive. It gives me 3 choices: drive i, j, or k. Normally when I plug in a flash drive into a USB port, it select drive f or g. Drive j points to an external hard drive. I have tried j drive and it does work but it is a very insecure device for password protection. If I try i or k, the program can not find the flash drive. The problem of finding the flash drive occurs for both creating and reading the password reset disk. Is there a bug in the windows 10 password reset program preventing the program form searching for the correct drive?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please unplug all external drives, then plug-in a single flash drive and try to create password reset disk.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok loaded Microsoft 10 and then tried to access but it does not recognize my password.  Created a password reset disk and attempted to use it but get an error message which of course means I still can not get access - so my issue is what next or do I need to delete windows 10 as simply a bridge to far?????????

205 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I would suggest you to enable built-in administrator account using command prompt from Windows recovery environment and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):

- If you have installation media for Windows, start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to "Press any key to boot from DVD", do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the "Install Windows" page, click "Repair your computer" to start the Windows recovery environment.

- If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows recovery environment.

b. In the Windows recovery environment, on the "Choose an option" screen, click "Troubleshoot".

c. Click "Advanced options" and then click "Command Prompt".

d. In command prompt, type the following command and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

After enabling built-in administrator account, you maylogon and enable the account which is not working.

You may later disable built-in administrator account. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:no

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may download Windows 10 ISO files and then create an installation media.

Please refer this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I hope this information helps.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks finally ended up reverting to my previous Microsoft build and will not attempt to reload Microsoft 10 on the computer until Microsoft works through their version issues with 10.  Apparently I am simply one of many that were experiencing the same issues - rather than beat a dead horse I will wait a few months until Microsoft works out their issues before I make another attempt.  Had no issues with loading Microsoft 10 on my laptop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the reply to this problem is sooooo F-N dumb
Shake the hand of a Vet

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please unplug all external drives, then plug-in a single flash drive and try to create password reset disk.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you. 

Why must anything be done with external drives?  If this is necessary, it is very crude from a software perspective.  It's like writing with a block of charcoal instead of a ballpoint pen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ever find a solution,  brand new computer, no password

download office 365 NOW it asks for a password which NO ONE created, on tech support yesterday for HOURS, and now when I plug in what I thought was a USB reset disk, it tells it is not a reset disk

HELP!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am running Windows 10 home 1607 os build 14393.693 and I do not get the option of creating a Password Reset Disc. Please advise.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are probably signed into windows with your Microsoft account. You need to sign in with a local account. This can be done in settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2021 Views 14,214 Applies to: