Windows 10 opening pop-up window in background behind main window, failed to focus on pop-up

Hi,

Windows 10 introduced the known and well distributed issue with pop-up dialog windows, which are not focused on top of all other windows, but rather they stay in background, hidden behind the active window.

So many times customers call me: "I cannot access some web page" or "My certificate is not working"...

When I connect to end-user remotely, I see, that users simply does not notice task bar with one additional icon, or in some cases, user has taskbar minimized and they are really not aware of some pop-up window in background.

Is this specific to Slovenian Windows 10 version?

Or even worse, specific to a dozen of users which somehow all call me for help?

Or why does MS not fix this issue in all those years?

Se for example this Credentials pop-up:

I need to click on Tackbar icon to bring pop-up to the front:

Answer
Answer

Hi Andrej,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I certainly understand that the Windows Security pop up opens in background at times and this can be a challenge for some users who are not aware that program is open in the background and needs action.

This can happen at times with certain programs. However, if this happens regularly on other applications as well, we can check a registry setting value and see if it helps.

Before proceeding, make sure to create a System Restore point on the computer.

1.       Press Windows + R key to open Run window.

2.       Type regedit and press Enter.

3.       Browse to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

4.       On the right hand side locate and double click on the key ForegroundLockTimeout

5.       Select the button Decimal and then then type 0 (zero) in the value data box.

6.       Click on OK.

7.       Restart the computer and check if issue persists.

Important: This method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

However, if issue persists, as you have mentioned that this issue occurs in client systems, I would suggest you to post this query in our TechNet Forums where you will find the appropriate support for security issues related to domain and enterprise environments.

Meanwhile, you may also make use of the Feedback Hub, where you can tell Microsoft about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Vivian S

Regards,

Vivian S

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 23,800 Applies to: