Windows 10 not accepting Microsoft Account as Network Credentials

Help, please?

I have three computers on my home network, all with Windows 10. They all could access each other's files through the network after entering my Microsoft Account as Network Credentials.

I replaced the hard drive in my laptop and installed Windows 10 again. Now it cannot access the other two computers, nor can they access the laptop. When I enter my Microsoft Account info in Network Credentials, it says "The user name or password is incorrect".

What I have done:

1. Double-checked that I am using the correct password with my Microsoft Account.

2. Rebooted router.

3. Connected laptop to network with a network cable.

4. Tried everything mentioned on Fix Enter network credentials error on Windows 11/10, on the laptop and my main desktop without success.

5. Created a local account on the laptop with a username & password, and I am able to access the files on the laptop from the desktop using that username & password as network credentials, but using my Microsoft Account as network credentials still will not work.

None of my computers can be updated to Windows 11, so please don't suggest that.

Hi Bruce. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Continue with troubleshooting Network Credentials error with the rest of the fixes that work for this:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_...

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/16582...

https://windowsreport.com/enter-network-credent...
(Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro, PC Repair Tool and Reimage ads)

https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-solve-enter-netw...

https://www.softwaretesttips.com/enter-network-...

https://techcult.com/fix-enter-network-credenti...

https://wethegeek.com/enter-network-credentials...

Please report back results for each step in each link, so I know what else to suggest. I will keep helping you until this is resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Solution

All that I really needed to do so that the new installation of Windows 10 (Version 21H2), on my laptop could network with my other computers using the Microsoft Account, was to do this will all the computers:

1. Disable this:

All Settings: Accounts: Sign-in options: Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts

2. Lock the computer using Win+L (hold down the Windows key, and press the L key), and log in using your Microsoft Account password, not your PIN.

After doing this all on computers on the network, later logging in with the PIN works fine with the network.

The problem is that even though we are supposedly using the Microsoft Account for logging into Windows 10, when you use a login PIN, the Microsoft Account is not really thoroughly registered for the computer.

Greg Carmak: I thank you for your quick answer, though it was flawed. I hope that no one actually pays you for your answers here.

Your first link was to my own unanswered question about this issue on docs.microsoft.com. This leads me to believe that you didn't read anything of the links you provided. You just did a search and threw everything you found at me, without any thought at all. All of the links you provided repeated many of the same things, which I had already done if you had looked at those webpages and the one I provided a link for. There were a couple of minor obsolete items from previous versions of Windows that I had not tried, then I did with no joy.

The one relevant and current item that worked was something in your 7th link that gave me the clue to solve the issue. It said to remove the login PIN. Since that worked, it pointed out the real problem.

So Greg Carmak, you didn't solve my problem. You threw s4!t at the wall and hoped something would stick.

Bruce A. Johnson in Empress, Alberta, Canada

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bruce -

"The one relevant and current item that worked was something in your 7th link that gave me the clue to solve the issue. It said to remove the login PIN. Since that worked, it pointed out the real problem."

I'm glad to hear that one of the resources I provided helped you find the solution.

The other suggestions I gave were all directly related to this problem which I have dealt with here countless times before. I have more experience in tech forums and solve more problems than almost anyone else on the web for over a dozen years, during which I won the highest award in the tech field for ten years.

I am sorry you didn't like the way I helped you solve the problem, but you said yourself I did lead you to the solution which is enough for most people of good will.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greg said "I'm glad to hear that one of the resources I provided helped you find the solution."

Sigh. You threw a lot s4!t at the wall, hoping that something would stick. The fact one item out of many (50-60) duplicated items "stuck" is not skill, It's luck.

Greg said "The other suggestions I gave were all directly related to this problem which I have dealt with here countless times before."

OK, so that's why you didn't bother to read what I had already done to solve the problem? Just give me 7 webpages that mostly repeat the same things that I already did.

You didn't notice that your first link referred me to my own unanswered question about this issue on another Microsoft forum. Plus you didn't acknowledge that failure in your reply.

Greg said "I have more experience in tech forums and solve more problems than almost anyone else on the web for over a dozen years, during which I won the highest award in the tech field for ten years."

Even if I took your word for that, that doesn't help with your failure to address this issue effectively.

Greg said "I am sorry you didn't like the way I helped you solve the problem, but you said yourself I did lead you to the solution which is enough for most people of good will."

Most people don't have the skills or patience to follow those leads. You think that I don't have "good will" because I complain that you did so little, throwing s4!t at the wall and expected me to sort through it. If I were not computer knowledgeable (retired computer tech), I would not have been able to find the solution, given the "help" you gave. Most people are less knowledgeable, and would not have found the solution, or would have given up.

Bruce A. Johnson in Empress, Alberta, Canada

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 1,103 Applies to: