Windows 10 Memory leak

Hi,

My PC keeps on slowing down for a period of time. I checked with the Task Manager and also Procexp, I've seen that one of the svchost is hogging the memory. is there a memory leak somewhere. attached are some screenshots of the info.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run the DISM Tool and check if this helps:

DISM Tool
DISM tool can be used to repair the windows files which may be a possible cause of this issue. This will also help in resolving other issues which you have found in the log files of SFC scan. Follow the steps below to run the DISM tool.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click Command prompt (admin).
  3. Copy the following commands one by one and paste them in the Command Prompt Window:
           a.     DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Scanhealth

b.     DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Restorehealth

Note: As the keyboard shortcuts don't work in command prompt please use right click to paste.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems to be still the same after doing it in CMD. also the system is using high memory as well

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get a Error 740

Elevated permissions are required to run DISM

Use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Sorry for the late response. 

The issue could be due to extra memory usage by some software.

In order to help you better, please provide the information:

1.  Are you logged in as Administrator account?

2. Is the issue still persist?

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to check the memory status of the Computer by running Windows memory diagnostic and check if it helps.

1. On the search bar, type “Windows Memory Diagnostic” without the quotes and click on it.

2. Click on Restart now and check for problems.

3. Follow the instructions. 

If the issues still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I would suggest you to boot the Computer in clean boot mode and troubleshoot with the issue.

Refer to the below link to enter into clean boot state. The below link can also be applicable to Windows 10.

Clean boot disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135            

Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

Note: First perform the above methods, then if you want to perform DISM command.

1. On the search bar, type “CMD without the quotes.

2. Right click on it and click on Run as Administrator.

3. Then run the DISM command which is posted in previous post. 

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get a Error 740

Elevated permissions are required to run DISM

Use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks

Make sure you select the Command Prompt (Admin) not Command Prompt

Note I'm just another user trying to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a general comment on this.  In Windows 10 it is very deceptive to look at how much memory each process is using and know if there is a problem.

People sort believe that they will see all the memory used for a given task in that task.  This is not true any more.  If you have a program running and it asks the operating system to do something on the network, the network might cache files and such, and consume memory to satisfy that request and maybe to prepare for what might be future requests.  svchosts is one of those kinds of system tasks that provide this kind of support for programs running on your machine.

Another is RuntimeBroker, and then there is also System.

And in fact recently they put in some memory handling that is really interesting.  It was introduced in one of the Insider builds, but I'm not sure if it is released to the public yet.  And what happens is that if the system gets pressed for memory, they compact the the least used data and store that in System's memory space. If requested the System task can uncompact it and provide it to the task.  And only when that doesn't get them enough memory do they page out to disk.  Clearly with this scheme System can be seen to use a lot of memory at times.

And on my release system I have played with an example problem for developing universal programs that does image thumbnails.  I turned it loose in a folder with a lot of pictures and it start using up all the memory on my 4 GB system.  It was interesting to watch.  At first most the memory used was in the program and little in System, but as it got near the limits it flipped and System and another system process was using most of the memory, and very little was in the programs memory space.

I notice that over in this forum, several time when performance/memory questions come up they have the user download and run a performance tool so they can properly see what is really happening:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Note I'm just another user trying to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get an error 87 and it saysscanhealth is an unknown command

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

in the screenshot it is cleraly visible that svchost is using 4GB, so I don't know why you are talking of RuntimeBroker, or indicate that is has somethingt to do with the new "System and compressed memory".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you are allready using ProcessExplorer: right-click the svchost instance - properties - services
this will show you the services one of which is using the RAM. I suspect that you have some misbehaving 3rd party
service installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Error 87  Cleanup-image/Scanhealth is unknown

Win 10 is unusable - MSN Explorer, Edge, and IE11 all have memory growth when the is no system use - If I leave any one of these running, nothing else, and leave the computer unattended for 2-3 hours, when I return they are often using in excess of 1 GB and you get a low memory warning (yellow caution in the task bar) and a system freeze or crash immediately afterwards. If I could revert to Win 8.1 (! - another dog od a program) I would. That is how poor Win 10 is.

I

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 2,902 Applies to: