Windows 10 Magnifier - settings / options missing

The settings and options menu is missing from Windows Magnifier. 

This:

which then displays: 

then displays this:

First of all... the first image / icon is completely useless and unessential programming, why in the world just not provide the second application from the start? Is it that complicated? Besides the Magnifier icon can be difficult to see, especially with different background images. The icon is pointless.

Also, there is no option to open settings / options by right clicking on the magnifier window either. Why not?

Where are the shortcut keys? Shortcut key to reset the settings / options window if it were to somehow fall off the display. Why not add display boundaries for the settings / options window? There are many applications available that respect the displays resolution and prevent themselves from being forced into regions outside the users resolution by a given percent.  

It is completely mind boggling how these option's are not available.

I've attempted to troubleshoot this issue, restarting the computer does not resolve the location of the Magnifier options window, turning Magnifier off/on does not reset the Magnifier options. ALT+SPACE+M does nothing but move the main Magnifier window. WIN+U does nothing but provide a very basic Windows 10 junk screen of options and useless. Where are the options to move and/or reset the Magnifier Options window?!

MSVP, please do not respond with some asinine script.

Answer
Answer

Where are the shortcut keys? Shortcut key to reset the settings / options window if it were to somehow fall off the display.

Win++ turns it on.  Win+Esc turns it off.  Once it's on Ctrl+Alt+L  is handy (to activate Lens mode).  Etc.

Where are the options to move and/or reset the Magnifier Options window?!

I tried to imagine "losing" the Options window but it stuck with the Magnifier icon and its window.  In any case, I think using the Task View (Win-Tab) could be helpful.  The Options window stayed at its full size and I could not tell what it was on top of.  Then once you find the Options window (apparently) you can right-click on its top left corner, select Move, CursorRight and drag it with the Lens Magnifier that way.

Also, I think Narrator could be helpful if the Options window is really lost.  Narrator "sees" stuff and describes it when it is otherwise invisible.   Also Narrator allows us to do stuff that is otherwise impossible with just a mouse or keyboard.

BTW at first I tried doing these experiments via Mouse Without Borders and my On-Screen Keyboard but that turned out to be a bit too convoluted a scenario for this activity.  I think I could do it though if I had my OSK over my Touch screen.  E.g. that would allow me to use my pen to help MWB generate any special keystrokes without confusing its host and hopefully without disturbing the Magnifier too much.    ; )

Interesting challenge!

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2023 Views 2,197 Applies to: