windows 10 lock screen showing multiple users and asking passwords not set

i have just one user on my laptop which doesn't have a password.one day my brother changed the pc name somewhere in the control panel (that's what he said)

since that day my lock screen shows two users,one of them being totally unknown to me 

i have tried deleting any second account present in windows 10 settings,control panel user account setting,netplwiz but is not even showing up anywhere.its only showing one user that is my own

i even tried resetting my windows to default(without deleting data) and the two accounts are still there

thanks in advance for your help

Please open System Properties and click Settings in User Profiles section. A new window "User Profiles" will open. Please post a screenshot of User Profiles window. There will be a default profile and another one for you. If there is still another one, you may select it and delete it.

Please make sure you do not delete built-in administrator account profile if it was made active previously and showing up in that window.

Uzun ve müreffeh yaşayın / Have a long and prosperous life.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please open System Properties and click Settings in User Profiles section. A new window "User Profiles" will open. Please post a screenshot of User Profiles window. There will be a default profile and another one for you. If there is still another one, you may select it and delete it.

Please make sure you do not delete built-in administrator account profile if it was made active previously and showing up in that window.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So you have a default profile and another profile mayank ( yours ) on computer named MAYANK but on the lock screen you have another account. Can you also post that screenshot, if you do not mind ? 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i dont know how take screenshot of the login screen.

but i can tell you that there are two users :

1-mayd(the one i use ,i changed name to avoid confusion with the second user)

2-mayank(dont know it's password).

just a little saomething to add,i have chosen not to ask password on login but everytime i boot it says password or username is incorrect and i have to manually enter my password.

thanks in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

here are some pictures i took

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Most probably, your brother changed your use name in C:\Users\Your user name

This may happen when you use your user name during auto log-in setup in netplwiz instead of MS account e-mail and password. It happened to me once.

You have a Microsoft account e-mail and password and a user name that appears in C:\Users\your user name.

If you use your user name and the password for your e-mail account together in creating your auto log-in setup, then this situation may happen.

The remedy is to delete you e-mail account in Settings / Accounts. ( Your e-mail account will be re-created. )

This will most probably clear your unwanted login. After this unwanted login account is cleared, then using netplwiz, you must create another auto login setup. This time use your MS account e-mail and password together.

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***  ( whatever )
   ******* password
   ******* password( You must enter your password a second time)

Note: If you are using other than Outlook.com ( MS e-mail ), then you may have to make sure you back up your e-mails.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i followed these steps and when i rebooted now i had 3 users at login screen and those two old users were still there and the new account made me load into a completely new desktop just like the one you get when do a fresh install including the "hi" screen.  i probably did something wrong can you please point it out

i have a feeling i did this step wrong

"then using netplwiz, you must create another auto login setup" 

thanks in advance

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I would do in your case is, start your account from the beginning:

1- Create an administrator account and give it a name MANAGER ( or a name of your choice ). This should be a local account. This account must not be used. It should be there to be used in case of emergency. It must have a strong password.

2- Backup important data, documents, pictures, e-mails, etc. in your previous accounts.

3- Delete all other accounts that belong to you.

4- Log in to MANAGER. 

5- Create a new user account for yourself. If you are not installing-uninstalling programs very often, make your account STANDARD user. This way you will be sort of immune to common malwares.

6- Use your MS e-mail and password when creating auto login credentials in netplwiz.

Hope this helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 18,013 Applies to: