Windows 10 jump lists broken by recent update *again*

The jump lists accessed by right-clicking pinned apps on the taskbar have stopped working after installing updates kb4569751 and kb4565351.

When I say "stopped working", I mean that I can still left-click on a pinned app (e.g. File Explorer) and it will open correctly, but if I right-click on the icon and then try to click on any of the links in the menu which appears, nothing works:

Clicking on the recent files or the Desktop/Documents/Pictures/etc. links shows an error message window saying "The item that you have selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?" but the files and folders have not been deleted or changed in any way.

If I click on the app icon to open another instance of the app, the list simply disappears and the app does not launch.

This has happened to me before on this same installation of Windows 10 when Windows updated itself and the jump lists broke. I was unable to find a solution so I just lived with it for months, when suddenly it was fixed by some mysterious Windows Update, but I have no idea which one. That fix happened about a month ago.

Now it has happened again. I tried uninstalling the two updates (see beginning of this post) which were installed on the day the issue started, but that didn't fix the issue so I decided to try the upgrade to version 2004 of Windows 10, but even that hasn't solved the problem.

Jump Lists still work in "Safe Mode" interestingly which would suggest a driver conflict. I have updated to the newest video drivers from Nvidia, but no luck.

How can I fix this issue?

Thank you!

|

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to select any option from the context menu, when you right click on the app pinned in Taskbar.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1:  Clean boot

Also, boot the PC in clean boot environment and check if you are getting the message. Refer to the article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue, then please refer to the section How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot from the above article to check which program is causing the issue.

Note:  Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot. 

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Step 2: New user account

We would suggest you to create a new user account with administrative rights. Creating a new user account will not remove any data, app or settings from your current user account, this is just a troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility of user profile corruption. Refer this article to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to select any option from the context menu, when you right click on the app pinned in Taskbar.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1:  Clean boot

Also, boot the PC in clean boot environment and check if you are getting the message. Refer to the article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue, then please refer to the section How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot from the above article to check which program is causing the issue.

Note:  Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot. 

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Step 2: New user account

We would suggest you to create a new user account with administrative rights. Creating a new user account will not remove any data, app or settings from your current user account, this is just a troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility of user profile corruption. Refer this article to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Hello, and thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately neither of these steps produces any change in the jump lists. I had high hopes for the Clean Boot step seeing as booting into Safe Mode does fix the issue, but sadly it didn't work. Likewise, logging into a newly created Admin account gives me a nice new desktop etc. but the jump lists are still broken.

How should I proceed?

Thank you for your time!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1.    Press Windows + X key and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)

2.    Copy and paste this command, and then press Enter: Get-AppXPackage -User ([System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent().Name) *ShellExperienceHost* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

3.    Once the process complete, restart the PC and check

Aditya Roy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1.    Press Windows + X key and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)

2.    Copy and paste this command, and then press Enter: Get-AppXPackage -User ([System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent().Name) *ShellExperienceHost* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

3.    Once the process complete, restart the PC and check

Aditya Roy

Interestingly, Windows Powershell is not an option in the list when I press Windows + X, but I got to it through a Start search.

I tried this solution, but when I press Enter, a message bar appears for a fraction of a second and then disappears. I think it says "Deploying Package" and then a long string of 0s but it disappears too quickly to read properly.

I tried restarting in any case, just to be sure, but there has been no change to the jump lists, I'm afraid.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any further input on this matter?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am getting really sick and tired of the jump lists breaking regularly every time Windows does an update. What is soooo hard about making these work?

Tried the above. Wouldnt let me click on admin - had to do another search on how to elevate within powershell. Did the above. No difference. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this: Repair your Jump Lists, if Windows does not display recently opened files

WIN+E, copy/paste %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations into the File Explorer address bar and delete all files in that folder [two files didn’t delete but fix still worked]. Then copy/paste %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations into the File Explorer address bar and delete all files in this folder too. Right-click the Word icon that should be on the Taskbar--the jump list should be cleared. Open any Word file and the Recent list should reappear. Going forward, pin desired files from the Recent list to begin a new list of pinned files.

Arlene

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2021 Views 1,237 Applies to: