Windows 10: Issues with installing Brother printer and getting error message "DIFxDriverPackageInstall Error = 13".

Original Title: Update DIFx Driver package June 2016

Trying to install new Brother printer (MFC-L8600CDW) via USB and I receive DIFxDriverPackageInstall Error = 13 message. Brother says this is a PC issue with the installation of Windows. Contact your PC manufacturer for assistance.  Dell did a remote assistance and took over my PC. DIFx package preinstalled was dated 2014.  Can't find a way to update my DIFx package to most current.

Know how to help? Likely have to return this NEW printer and find one that is known to just Plug and Play with my NEW Dell cpu.

(Dell XPS 8900) Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz, 32GB RAM

Hi Steven,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if printer is not installed properly.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "install new Brother printer (MFC-L8600CDW) via USB", how exactly are you trying to install the printer driver? Did you tried to install the printer driver on the computer?
  • Have you received the printer driver with the device?
  •  What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to run the repair tool as suggested in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps. 

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Then I recommend you to install the latest printer driver from the printer manufacture website.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl8600cdw_us_as

Please get back to us with an update on issue with issue with installing printer driver, we will be happy to help.

Thank you. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am an A+ Certified Computer Diagnostic Technician for over 10 years.  I attempted to install the printer software directly from the Brother CD without connecting the printer (common practice, then connect the USB cable when the software directs you to, unfortunately the software doesn't install far enough to do so.) The software loads to approximately 65% complete according to the green loading progress bar, when an error dialogue box opens with the message DIFxDriverPackageInstal Error = 13. When I selected the only option (OK) the installation process stops. I then went to Brother's support website and downloaded the installation software. Using the same steps as I indicated above, the same results occur.  I previously reported in my original post that my computer is a DELL XPS 8900, Intel Core i7-6700K cpu @ 4.00 GHz with 32 GB RAM.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the printer in compatibility mode. Check if it helps.

1. Right-click on the printer driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’'.

2. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7, 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with issue with installing printer driver, we will be happy to help.

Thank you. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The program will not even start to load in compatibility mode.  As the original error message clearly states this is a DIFx issue, the likely solution is to get a more current DIFx package. Are you aware of how I may update my "driver store"?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

I suggest you to update all the pending Windows updates in the computer and to receive the latest system updates.

1. Click on Start Menu.

2. Then select Settings.

3. Choose Update & security > Windows Update >Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Also I recommend you to refer to the information provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check it helps. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544837(v=vs.85).aspx

Thank you. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2024 Views 13,793 Applies to: