Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each.

I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever computer is selected by the KVM has the external monitor as a secondary display.

I have happily used this configuration for months.

Recently, I upgraded the personal laptop from Win7 to Win10. The work laptop is still Win7.

Now, when I switch the external monitor from my personal laptop to the work laptop, everything that was being displayed on the external screen for the personal laptop is transferred to the main screen of the personal laptop. This means that when I switch back to the personal laptop I have to move the programs I want displayed on the external monitor back to the external monitor. It still works properly on the work laptop (Win7), so I am concluding that the issue is Win10. Is there some setting that I can change so that when I switch from the personal laptop to the work laptop it doesn't move the programs displayed on the extended monitor back to the main display?

Thanks for any help!
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This might occur when some of the settings not configured properly, I would suggest you refer to the below link and try the steps mentioned in help article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2020 Views 3,487 Applies to: