Windows 10 is suddenly unstable

For the past week to 10 days my Windows 10 has become increasingly unstable.  Documents disappear in folders and reappear the next day.  When using both Chrome and Edge I frequently crash to the desktop.

Word is particularly problematic. It keeps crashing.  Apart from disappearing documents format and editing constantly changes.  eg. The text suddenly becomes too small to even read. These odd changes either happen because of, or are triggered by the crashes.

My main website has now lost all Posts and pages.  I installed Firefox, but that too doesn't help.

Please somebody come to my rescue!

Kirsten Plotkin

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share these details. 

• Do you get any error message when Edge crashes?

• Are you facing issue with Microsoft Word?

• Do you face the same issue on a different User Account?

I can understand that Microsoft Edge crashes whenever you try to open the browser. To diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Run the apps troubleshooter and check if it helps with the issue. Refer to the following article and run the Apps troubleshooter:

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 3:

I suggest you perform a Clean Boot check if it helps.

The issue could be due to some third party programs. I would suggest you to boot the computer into clean boot and install the updates. Clean boot will eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Follow How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot from article KB929135 to reset the computer to normal mode.

Hope this helps. Please post us with the required information to help you better.

Thank you. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft referred me to a local technician who was able to fix the problems.  Thank You!
Kirsten Plotkin, Author

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know the status of the issue, We are glad to know that you were able to resolve the issue. Please let us know for any further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2022 Views 2,944 Applies to: