Windows 10 Installation stuck at 85% (0xC1900101 - 0x20004)

Hiya,

So first off I thank anyone who replies to this and apologize if somewhere this exact question is answered (my searches did not yield such however).

My situation is after waiting excitedly for Windows 10 to launch and to be able to upgrade (I was gonna pay but to get it for free is totally awesome), I cannot seem to get past 40% of "Applying PC Settings" and 85% overall progress. I have searched this up and tried to look up different solutions, even going as far as to reinstall my Windows 7, activate it, install just the bare basic drivers, and completely update it, before trying to install Windows 10 (via Media Creation Tool) both via ISO & via software but so far to no avail. Anyone have any clues or insights? Thanks again!

~Waffles

EDIT 01: I forgot to note that I did leave it at 85% overnight and then some with no progress. It reaches 80ish overall percentage and I see the HDD light kick off / the computer wind down a little

EDIT 02: I also just got this today:

EDIT 03: Ended up solving my own problem through removing all SATA peripherals except the HDD I was going to use, had no Anti-Virus during install, disabled my Wi-Fi, & oh yah... a whole lotta luck!

Question Info

Last updated August 27, 2019 Views 1,793 Applies to:

Hi,

Issues with installation are being resolved bydisabling/uninstalling the Antivirus software and also by unplugging the external devices (including the Windows 10 USB install media as soon as the PC restarts for the first time during the upgrade).

I would suggest you to disable antivirus and check the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Note: Before updating, make sure you have installed all available updates to your PC.

You may also run a system file checker scan and check if there are any corrupt system files.

SFC (System File Checker) is a tool which scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Refer the following article for more information on using SFC tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hiya Sharief K & thanks for your reply,

I actually ended up getting Windows 10 to install the night before your post (8/12) much to my own surprise on the last try I was going to give it before hanging up my hat for good on the whole thing & going to bed. I didn't have an Anti-Virus installed during installation as I read it can cause issues as you have pointed out.

What worked for me was:

Since I had two HDDs, one primary and one secondary, I removed the primary and put the secondary in it's place since it was the one I wanted to install 10 on, I then disconnected all other SATA peripherals, re-installed 7 on the secondary (since generating a new MBR opened a whole new can of worms & I had nothing valuable on the previous install / messed it up slightly through attempting solutions), updated it completely, attempted 10 via USB with Wi-Fi disabled (& no anti-virus software installed as mentioned), removed the flash drive once it had restarted (as you mentioned), and got extremely lucky.

I thank you once again for your answer & time. Great to see a reply from a forum mod. :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.