Windows 10 install issue on x55u

I am trying to update my os from windows 7 to 10. The download is already completed and I am at the screen where it is installing and checking for updates. I am 60% when the power went out. The install was not successful and the initial change was undone. Now, I am trying to reinstall it but I am being asked for the license key. I was wondering because I was not asked the first time I tried installing it. What can I do? 
Hi Maria,

I’m Mario an Independent Advisor. I’m here to work with you on this problem.

The next link explains exactly how you can reinstall Windows 10 with product key:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Also, you can find the Windows 7 product key follow the next steps:

To find your Windows 7 key, no additional software is required. It’s found in a file that’s easily located. First, open the start menu and enter the search term “regedit.”

Windows start menu showing search function
- First step: open the start menu and enter the search term “regedit.”
The next window to open displays the Windows Registry Editor. This is where Windows stores important settings for the operating system and for installed programs. You will be able to see and edit all the values in the database, but you should not make any changes unless you are aware of the effects that they will have.

On the left side of the window, you will see five folders beneath the “Computer” icon. Select the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” folder.

Windows Registry
- Second step: select the folder “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” in the Windows Registry Editor.
This folder contains all the general Windows installation settings for the local computer. If the computer is used by several people with different user accounts, all settings that are common to all users will be displayed in this folder. These will include data on connected devices, the operating system and various updates, as well as on software available to all users.

Once you have selected “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,” various subfolders will be displayed. First, select the sub-folder “SOFTWARE.”

Windows Registry “Software” folder
- Third step: select the “SOFTWARE” subfolder.
This folder is where all settings for the various programs on the computer, and for the operating system, are stored. Open the “Microsoft” subfolder and then hold down [Ctrl] + [F].

Windows Registry “Microsoft” folder
- Fourth step: Select the “Microsoft” folder and open the search function.
This key combination opens the search window, which you can use to search through the selected “Microsoft” folder. Enter the term “ProductKey” in the search window and select the three search option checkboxes so that keys, values, and data will be displayed.

Windows Registry with the search function displayed
- Fifth step: search for “ProductKey” using the search function.
This should launch the window containing the product key in the Registry Editor. The serial number will be displayed next to the name “ProductId.” The Windows 7 product key is composed of an arbitrary series of numbers organized into four segments and separated by hyphens.

Windows Registry with the Windows 7 product key
- Sixth step: the Windows 7 license key can be found next to the name “ProductId.”
It’s a good idea to write down and store the product key somewhere safe. If you ever want or need to reinstall Windows 7, you will have to enter the product key in order to use all the normal functions of the operating system. This can be particularly important if computer components have been damaged, and you need to reinstall Windows after replacing them.

I hope to help you. Please, tell us the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2020 Views 3 Applies to: