Windows 10 icon

For some reason, when I click the Windows icon to pull up the power and settings icons, the vertical mini window with these icons pops up and then disappears before the power or settings icons can be clicked.   What happened and how to correct?

Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric, I am Paulo. I'm an Independent Advisor and an individual like you inclined to help.

Do you mean this?
https://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/201...

If so, this expands automatically when you hover on that section since version Windows 10 1909. If the options are missing when expanded, I suggest you run the System File Checker tool first to fix any corrupt/missing system files

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4026529/wind...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes that is it. However, I see that administrative privileges are required which is yet another issue.  

A couple of weeks ago I brought my HP All-In-One to Geek Squad to store because at some previous point in time Windows system suggested I develop a sign-on PIN which I did.  Apparently, that created a USER portal secondary to Administrator.  For a long time, I signed on using the PIN rather than the Administrator password because the PIN was quicker and simpler.  In the process of not using the Administrator password, I forgot it.  So, being signed in as secondary account, I was unable to save documents to the desktop (when attempted I receive error message that I cannot do so because I don’t have administrator privileges).  The GEEK Squad removed the requirement of a sign-in screen but I still receive the same error message regarding saving documents to home screen.  

This is very frustrating.    

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear that. For that issue, you can check this article on how you can reset your local administrator account password IF you remember the security questions you've input.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4028457/wind...

If not, I suggest that you contact the shop and see if they can reset that for you.

For the issue above, you can try the troubleshooter and see if that won't ask for an admin account to proceed. That's in Windows Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Select Windows Store Apps then run the troubleshooter

Also, you can check if restarting the Windows Explorer would help. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager. Under Processes tab, right-click on Windows Explorer then choose Restart

If those didn't work, unfortunately, most of the steps would require admin rights which we don't currently have at the moment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 13 Applies to: