Windows 10, HP laptop Mouse and keyboard not working ONCE DESKTOP IS "LOADED" up.

Hello... 

i have an hp laptop. I updated my laptop maybe a week ago? (Dont remember the exact date) everything worked fine after but then 2 days ago it said i had no internet which i did since it worked on my phone... i restarted my laptop and now ever since then, once my desktop shows up ALL the icons in the bottom bar besides the windows icon is NOT there. AND my keyboard AND mouse will not work. (Even though it lets me login) just when it gets to the desktop, it just looks like my mouse and keyboard is frozen.(i cant even turn on the caps lock on)... If anyone can fix this PLEASE let me know. I have already restarted my laptop AND shut it down completly several times and also taking the battery out and it will still NOT work. Please i would do anything. 

Hi Isabelle,

The issue you're experiencing might be due to an application or software you recently downloaded and installed, or due to hardware issue.

Please provide the answers to the following for us to be able to learn more about your concern:

• Are your drivers up-to-date?
  • What were the recent changes made before the issue start? Specifically 2 days ago after updating your
  • Windows, since it is working fine after the update.
  • Have you tried plugging a mouse device? If  yes, did you get the same result?
  • Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If not yet, let's boot your PC into Safe Mode from the sign-in screen and see if the issue persists.

Starting your PC in Safe Mode with Networking can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC while using a limited set of files and drivers. Here's how to set your PC in Safe Mode with Networking:

1. Hold the Shift key, click the Power icon, then Restart.
  2. Select Troubleshoot when you get into the Choose an option screen.
  3. Select Advanced options, then Startup Settings.
  4. Click Restart.
  5. Select 5 or press the F5 key from the keyboard after your PC restarts to start your PC now in Safe Mode with Networking.

If your mouse and keyboard works when in Safe Mode with Networking, let's update your drivers. You can follow the steps found on this link on how to update your drivers in Windows 10.

Also, running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter finds and repairs problems with your devices and hardware. Here's how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

1. Right-click the Start icon, then select Control Panel.
  2. Choose the Large icons option from the View by drop down list found on the upper-right part of the Control Panel window.
  3. Locate then select Troubleshooting.
  4. Click View all from the left pane.
  5. Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Let us know what happens after following the above mentioned troubleshooting steps.

Regards.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Michelle,

my mouse and keyboard works fine in safe mode. But i dont understand " Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device " i dont know what to chose for my keyboard and mouse. Sorry im not really good in this stuff haha. Thank you for helping me i really appreciate it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay so i did the troubleshooting in safe mode... it says "intel(r) dual band wireless-ac 3165 has a driver problem" and "reinstall device drive" but when i right clik on it, it only says update driver, (which does not work), disable device and unintall device... 

and another issue was found called "Hp mobile data protection sensee is not working properly.... "and then i right click on that one, it says the same thing, update, disable and unintall... what do i do? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, while im on "safe mode with networking" the wifi does not work. It has a red x on it... so if i uninstall the drivers, how am i gonna install them again if i dont have internet? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate you sharing with us those information.

Since updating the driver failed to work, let's consider uninstalling the driver. Restarting the PC will automatically reinstall the driver.

Are your keyboard and mouse devices working after rebooting your PC from Safe Mode?

If the issue persists, let's reset your PC without losing your files. You can follow the selection entitled, "Reset your PC", from this link.

Let us know what happens after the reset.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So if i uninstall intel(R) dual band wireless-AC 3165" and "HP mobile daya protection sensor" they will both reinstall once i restart? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I reinstalled the drivers and its still wouldnt work. I also did the system restore but there was only one date which was july 5th AND EVEN THE SYSTEM RESTORE WOULD NOT WORK. Im still having the same problem. Mouse still not moving and keyboard not working and also bottom bar icons wont show up on desktop. I dont know what to do anymore. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Isabelle,

How about trying SFC Scan and DISM? The System File Checker checks the integrity of your system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted or damaged versions with the correct ones. Feel free to check out this link by ZigZag3143 for more information and steps on how to perform SFC and DISM.

Let us know the outcome.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2024 Views 11,968 Applies to: