Windows 10 - How do I use a System Repair Disk (System Image) to restore my computer to an earlier state?

I have a “System Image” saved on DVD +RW ( a “System Repair Disk”). The System Image was created in September 2018, shortly after purchase of a Lenovo ideapad 320 – 171KB (a ‘laptop’ computer). I would like to use a System Image to restore the laptop to an earlier state. However, when I try, the following dialog is displayed, even though a portable hard drive is attached or the Repair Disk inserted:

“Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.

Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry. Alternatively, close this dialog for more options”

The System Image was created  using the “Create a System Image” option, accessed via the following path:

Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

It was suggested that I change the BIOS Boot order, using the information contained provided here:

https://notebooks.com/2011/05/05/how-to-load-bios-and-change-boot-configuration/  

After shutting down the computer, I accessed “BIOS Setup”. That opened up “InsydeH20 Setup Utility”. Under that heading, five tabs are displayed and accessible:

“ ‘Information’;

‘Configuration’;

‘Security’;

‘Boot’;

‘Exit’.

As advised, I accessed the ‘Boot’ tab. The following was displayed:

“Boot Mode [UEF1]

Fast Boot  [Enabled]

USB Boot  [Enabled]

PXE Boot to LAN  [Enabled]

IPV4 PXE First  [Enabled]

EFI

Windows Boot Manager (ST1000LM035-1RK172)

EFI DVD/CDROM (HL –DT-ST DVDRAM GUE0N)

EFI PXE Network (54-E1-AD-E0-36-3D)”

Each of the options under “Boot Mode” can be disabled or enabled, but cannot be listed in a different order. Each of the items listed under “EFI” can be moved to occupy a different position in the list.

‘Boot Mode’ can be switched from ‘[UEF1]’ to ‘[Legacy Support]’. If that is done, ‘Fast Boot’ is substituted with: ‘Boot Priority  [UEF1 First]’

The Lenovo User Guide only offers two options to restore the computer – neither involve restoring a saved system image. Both involve reinstallation of the factory default configuration. However, one option preserve’s user’s data and important settings. Obviously, neither option is preferable to using a System Image, if you don’t want to have to spend hours reinstalling software and tweaking settings.

As I’ve said, I have not been able to use the System Repair Disk that I have. Can anyone help me to use my System Repair Disk to restore my computer system? It seems strange that the computer would come with the option to create a System Image if once created it cannot be used.

Also, the computer informed that a system image that is older than 60 days is likely to be un reliable at restoring drivers and programmes and that they may need to be reinstalled. How likely is that?

Thanks.

Answer
Answer

Hi,
Welcome to our community.
 I am glad to assist you today.

Sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Now, we would like to help you promptly.

The most likely cause of unexpected shutdowns is your hardware. Indicates a dirty/improper shutdown. Appears in the log when the previous shutdown was unexpected, e.g. due to power loss or BSoD (Bug check).

Suggest you start with basics.

Check your disk(s).
Try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - excellent, else HD Tune Health and Error scan tabs and post the (GUI) results. HD Tune also has a portable version. Both ok for SSDs.

If your system disk is ok, please run
chkdsk c: /F
from an admin command prompt.
Your PC will need to restart.

Waiting to hearing from you

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 6,107 Applies to: