Windows 10 Home - WIFI Slow internet speed - limited

Hi,

I Have installed on my brand new laptop windows 10 Home "already updated", I have a 10 Mbps internet connection but only reaches 1.2 Mbps, I ran a speed test on my phone that uses the same WiFi and is reaching 9 Mbps. Something is limiting the bandwidth almost in 90% of its capacity, WiFi driver is Updated and I'm sitting next to the modem to get a better signal strength and I get full signal bars but the speed still the same, I already tried some basic troubleshooting suggested by Microsoft but still does not work, I don't think something is consuming the bandwidth because my phone gets a good speed. I don't know what else to do.

Modified title from: Windows 10 Home - WIFI Slow internet speed - limited   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question Info

Last updated November 1, 2019 Views 9,639 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Before we start troubleshooting, we'd like to collect more information. Please answer these questions so we could have a closer look:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10 device? Follow this article on how to get this information.
  • What is the make and model of your device?
  • Were there any updates/changes to your device prior to this issue happening?

For now, we recommend to connect your device to your modem using Ethernet cable as your WiFi hardware may be the cause.

We'll be waiting for your updates.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Make/Model: Dell Inspiron 5570

WiFi driver: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
version: 19.51.8.2 (latest)

Edition: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.192

Were there any updates/changes to your device prior to this issue happening?
Reply: No, the computer is brand new I just updated windows and then try to use internet but is having issues since the beginning.

For now, we recommend to connect your device to your modem using Ethernet cable as your WiFi hardware may be the cause.
Reply: I don't think is my WiFi router I think is Windows 10 this is my first time using Windows 10 and my PC with windows 7 works normally I have other computers, phones, tablets etc. and all of them are working perfectly. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the information. Have you already tried connecting your laptop to the modem using an Ethernet cable? Again, this is to check if the issue is with your laptop's network card. If the issue would still persist, please do the following steps:

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard, then type CMD on search, right-click on the result and choose Run as Admin.
  2. Type these following commands to reset your internet/network settings:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset
  3. Restart your laptop and see if the issue gets resolved.

Update us if there are improvements.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue I get 25 mb/s but I did what you said above and it doesnt work. Im currently getting 1.25 mb/s. This all happened after I cleaned out my computer. Im not sure if it has anything to do with removing my power supply for a moment and putting it back on. But I'm not sure and i've been trying to get good internet i've gone through almost every forum about it and i cant find a way to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel like I have a similar issue.

More info:

I dual boot into Ubuntu on the same machine, speed test over wifi is 120+ Mbps down.  On the Windows 10 Home, I get between 0 and 2.5 Mbps down.  

I have a 2016 mid-range Acer machine, has had windows 10 home since retail purchase.

Aspire R5-471T

Windows 10 Home 1709 16299.431

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless

Only thing that's changed on the machine in 6 months is Windows updates.

I've also tried the netsh commands to disavle autotuning, which people have advised in response to the Windows 10 Creator update, no resolution.

It is so frustrating that Microsoft ships updates only to break a perfectly good computer.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JnMcLarty,

Were you able to follow the previous recommendation to connect using Ethernet LAN connection instead? Can you share the results? I also recommend rolling back the drivers and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

I Have the same issue does any one have a effective solution?

The ethernet cable works fine, the issue is the wifi.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

Select Settings -> Network & Internet -> WiFi -> Change adapter options (on right-hand side)
Right-click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
Select Configure -> Advanced
Set 802.11d to Disabled
Set Wireless Mode to IEEE 802.11b/g
This gave me a much faster and stable WiFi

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks but didn't work....

I set wireless mode to 2.4 GHZ 802.11b/g but I dont have the 802.11d option... 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi guys/girls!

Well i had this problem too but have already found a solution for myself. Every solution above - even setting 5ghz band, tweaking, making sure that drivers are updated - was irrevelant and didn't help me. In a matter of fact was also time consuming...

I was about to give up and simply reinstall Windows 10. But then i begin to think of funny/strange(?) thought - try to rescan my laptops Windows 10 with other Antivirus software. Allready i had an antivirus protection suit - it was Avira Antivirus 2018 (yes - the paid, subscription version - and not the free one).

Sadly to say - this software suit has stopped build-in Windows Defender service - becouse there was detected that i had other antivirus software. Avira didn't found trojan horse, and Windows Defender didn't had a chance to find it and remove it (becouse it was disabled).

And this was a real reason why i have had a slow wifi connection - my laptop was infected with a trojan horse which made it a "zombie". My ping reached 2000 miliseconds up to 3500 ms when downloading with speed capped at 60 Mbps. It should have reach at least 250 Mbps to 300 Mbps while at ping = 80ms (on my dualband intel wifi card).

So simple as that - i have removed my Avira Antivirus, and decided to use built-in Windows Defender software.

And my advice is to scan your PC's for any malware that could cap your internet speed - with Windows Defender (or you could use two more which i strongly reccomend you: MalwareBytes or Eset NOD32 online version)

Wish you a good luck!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.