Windows 10 Home (1909): External HDD's shown as generic 'Devices' in 'Devices and Printers' application

Hi! Recently I noticed some wierd problem with 'devices and printers' application: I've got several external HDD constanly connected to my PC, so usualy then browse Devices and printers I see them as storage devices with proper model number and icons. But recently I noticed that they are in 'no data' cathegory and don't have proper icons or model name. I tried to disconnect/reconnect them, change usb port and noticed one more thing - that problem goes only for mass storage type devices - flash drives, external HDD, they all get that 'Device' icons with no additions data shown.

HDD itselves works fine, and I still see them in device manager... but the thing with 'devices and printers' still disturbs me.

My system runs on Windows 10 Home, v 1909

Answer
Answer
Hi Paul

This is a well reported bug in version 1909 of Windows 10, as you say, your drives still work as expected, Microsoft are aware of this and will hopefully push out a patch for this in the next update . . .

So, for now until they get this resolved, there is nothing we can or need to do but wait . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2020 Views 336 Applies to: