Windows 10 HDMI Audio Problem

I have an Intel NUC PC which I have just upgraded to Windows 10. It is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable. Everything works fine when I start up the PC. When I right-click on the audio icon at the bottom right of the taskbar and then click playback devices, it shows a single entry for HDMI Intel(R) Display Audio and this is working fine. However, if my PC goes into sleep mode which switches off the display and is then "awakened", the audio icon on the taskbar has a red X next to it. Checking  the playback devices now shows that there are no playback devices and I have effectively lost all audio. The only way I can get the audio back is to restart Windows. This is not ideal and neither is setting the PC to never go into sleep mode which is the only solution I have found to date. I have tried all the solutions suggested by people with related problems such as running the troubleshooter, updating the drivers, turning the audio services off and then back on again etc. None of these work. It would be much appreciated if someone has encountered this specific problem and has found a solution. Thanks in anticipation.

UPDATE: i think I have solved my problem.

As a rather long shot I figured that if I had not been having this problem with Windows 8.1, maybe I should try the 8.1 drivers. So I googled "Windows 8.1 Intel(R) Display Audio" and came across the Lenovo support site (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds040008) which had the 8.1 drivers. I downloaded the exe file via the download link provided. double-clicked the exe and the installation proceeded without any hitches and requested a restart of Windows which I did.. I then ran a few apps (mail, Google etc.) to make sure everything was working fine. I then switched off my display (tv), waited awhile and then switched it back on. Voila! My audio was still working. I am cautiously optimistic that it will continue to work and not cause any other problems. I hope this may be of some assistance to others who may be experiencing this problem. 

|

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. This issue usually arises due to outdated drivers. You may try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If you are unable to find the drivers for Windows 10, you may try to install the drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1. 

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it. 

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows 

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we will be glad to assist you. 

Regards,
Sahil Bali

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2021 Views 1,683 Applies to: