Windows 10 hangs on loading screen on startup

I have a Lenovo g580 laptop running Windows 10. Had some issues with the file system not giving admin permissions. After trying a few things and restarting Windows fails to fully boot. It just hangs on the spinning circles loading animation. If you alt+ctrl+del it brings up a mostly blank login screen. Only the three items on the bottom right (network settings, accesibility, and power/restart) show up along with the background image. As far as I can tell there is no way to bring up safe mode. Is a software error? Something malicious? A dead HDD? Any advice would be appreciated.

As far what I did before it all fell apart:

- Set my user account as owner (was set to system)

- Tried to set my user file folder to not read-only several times

- Tried to change C: to not read-only several times

- Tried to create a new user account. But, the window for that failed to load and that's when I restarted and this happened.

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

Sometimes new hardware can cause this issue.  If you recently added new hardware to your PC, shut down your PC, unplug the new hardware, and then restart your PC.

I would suggest you to boot system in safe mode then perform Clean Boot to check the status of the issue.

Follow the link to Boot system in safe mode.

Clean Boot.
Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer:
After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the prompt response. HOWEVER. As stated before I cannot boot into Windows. Thus, cannot reach settings.

Also, no new hardware was installed to even cause that type of issue to begin with. To even require turning on safe mode in the settings panel is absurd for the very reason I'm experiencing (not your fault, I know. Just putting it out there).

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I  would suggest you to perform start up repair from Windows Recovery Environment.

To get to Windows Startup Settings in the Windows Recovery Environment.

If you can't start your PC, follow these instructions to get to the Windows Recovery Environment.
1) Start your computer from the installation media, Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer, If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
2) In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
3) Tap or click, advanced options and then click on Startup repair.

After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.
If you don't have a disk or USB, download the ISO from a working computer and try creating a bootable disk or USB.

Windows 10 ISO file Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. Followed the instructions and it simply tells me that, "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC".

It gives me an option in a previous menu to use a restore point. Should I try that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to run bootrec commands in the command prompt from Windows recovery environment and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):

- If you have installation media for Windows, start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to "Press any key to boot from DVD", do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the "Install Windows" page, click "Repair your computer" to start the Windows recovery environment.

- If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows recovery environment.

b. In the Windows recovery environment, on the "Choose an option" screen, click "Troubleshoot".

c. Click "Advanced options" and then click "Command prompt".

d. In the command prompt, type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each command.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may create Windows 10 installation media using the following article.
Refer:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. Followed the steps and still running into the same problem. The only noticeable change is that the spinning circles are now accompanied by "please wait" underneath it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I request you to boot your computer to low-resolution video mode and check if that helps.

Follow the steps to enter low-resolution video mode:

1. Open Settings from Start menu.
  2. Navigate to Update & security > Recovery > Advanced startup.
  3. Select Advanced startup. Now, your computer will be restarted in recovery mode.
  4. Click on Troubleshoot and select Advanced options. Go to Startup Settings.
  5. Click Restart button to restart your computer.
  6. To start up in low-resolution video mode, press 3 or F3.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I request you to boot your computer to low-resolution video mode and check if that helps.

Follow the steps to enter low-resolution video mode:

1. Open Settings from Start menu.
  2. Navigate to Update & security > Recovery > Advanced startup.
  3. Select Advanced startup. Now, your computer will be restarted in recovery mode.
  4. Click on Troubleshoot and select Advanced options. Go to Startup Settings.
  5. Click Restart button to restart your computer.
  6. To start up in low-resolution video mode, press 3 or F3.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

This issue has been posted on several threads.  A commenter discovered that the simple fix was: to first open "display settings" from main screen, choose "power and sleep", choose "additional power settings", choose "what the power button does", under "shut down settings", uncheck "turn on fast startup (recommended)".  I have been fighting this issue since this option came in on an update. unbeknownst to me.  What amazes me most is that the Microsoft Techs on this  forum were totally unaware of this simple fix.  It is kind of like, if the machine doesn't work, what do you do first? Tear it apart, No. See if the darn thing is plugged in the wall.  Ya Think?

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 19,536 Applies to: