Windows 10 grey screen on startup

So I saw that window 10 was a free upgrade and I just went ahead and installed it overnight. I didn't see what version or build it was, I just pressed install then turned off my monitor while it installed over the night. When I went to turn on the monitor in the morning when I assumed it should be done downloading, it was just a blank grey screen that I couldn't do anything with, except for move the mouse around. I turned my computer off then back on. I had the logo with the spinning loading symbol then it went back to the grey screen. How do I get my computer to work again?
I pressed ctrl-alt-del and the password prompt appeared. Note, i did this after 10 minutes or so i.e. I do not know if it would have worked immediately.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this same situation as well.  Grey screen with no way to access anything.  CTL-ALT-DEL also did not do anything.

I ended up just turning off the computer and hard rebooting a few times.  The first couple of times, I got the same grey screen.  The last time I rebooted, I let the computer run for a while.  It looks like it was downloading an automated updated because after some time passed, I got a message that it was restarting.

It installed an update and then it was back to my normal screen.  So no harm, no foul as far as I can tell but its clearly not the way it was supposed to happen.  Can't recommend an upgrade that leaves you in fear that you might lose access to your computer even for a short period of time.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there an upgrade that has to be loaded and did the upgrade solve your grey screen.  I didn't want the upgrade and it started without my approval. Did not like the force upgrade and now when I turn my machine on I get this grey screen and it take several reboots to get some activity on my screen. I am not a happy camper.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same question, I tried everything. Took the battery out and still same thing (while unplugged). Talked to a tech at Lenovo and after one and half hour of trying everything he said he could fix it for $75 (which I don't have. He had me hit Ctrl, Alt, Del, and there are several choices-task manager, hit ? mark top left, had me type explorer. exe. - didn't work. so, he went to get a supervisor, I typed in Firefox.exe, and firefox came up! So I'm on the internet, but still have grey screen after start up and typing in pin.

Still no apps and can't download anything from internet.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2023 Views 17,562 Applies to: