Windows 10 *glacially* slow... System Interrupts at 100%

Greetings All - This is my first time posting so I'll ask for your forgiveness in advance for an social faux-pas.

I have two identical machines that I put together for two of my children - the whole remote learning thing.  They are both running x64 Windows 10 Pro.  I have found that they both experience the exact same problem.  They will work fine for a while - minutes to hours - then all of a sudden they will drag down to a glacial crawl.  Very slow.  So slow that when I try to open the task manager, it says that the task manager is "Not Responding."  When I "look under the hood" in the task manager, the CPU's are all maxed-out and "System Interrupts" are near or at 100%.  If I reboot the machine, the system returns to normal until the next time - mere minutes to a couple hours away.

I've gone through all the "usual" debugging steps that I can find online, but so far nothing has provided any relief.  The consensus seems to be that it is likely a drive issue, but I can't figure out which - I've used the shotgun approach - updating the ones I can - to no avail.  I've seen on several forums that experts have asked for a snapshot using the Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer - So that's what I did last night.  I waited for the system to act-up again and then grabbed a 30 second snapshot with the recorder.  Here is a dropbox link to the etl file below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfc8l54iw0mkjc6/DESKTOP-8AKGHGK.03-30-2021.12-21-26.etl?dl=0

Is there somebody here that can possibly decipher what is in this file and figure what is going on?  And point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much.  I greatly appreciate any help that is provided.

Best Regards,

-FrankenYAG2000

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I actually experience the same issue as before and by following the steps provided below fixed my issue and I hope this works for you as well.

Method 1. Do clean boot:
A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

- In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.

- On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.

- Under Startup in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.

- Close Task Manager.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you restart the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

troubleshooting reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

Method 2. Run memory diagnostic tool: Memory diagnostic tool is a RAM test to check if there is any issues with RAM.

- Press Windows key + R then type in mdsched.exe hit OK then restart the device.

Method 3. Set the PC to best performance:

Press windows key + Pause/Break (or go to file explorer and right click This PC and click properties)

click on Advanced system settings> Under Performance click settings> Click Adjust for best performance and click OK

Note: this will reduce all appearance settings you have but will optimize the performance of the PC.

Let me know how does it goes and I hope that helps.

Bernard
Independent Advisor

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bernard,

I performed all three steps as you described (on both computers) and it appears to have resolved the issue.  I'm now in the process of narrowing down which component (or components) are the culprits.  I wanted to thank you for your help - I greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

-FrankenYAG2000

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bernard,

Well, unfortunately I spoke too soon.  Both computers experienced crippling slow-downs again over the past few days - despite the steps performed in your email.  I have all the non-Microsoft related startup items disabled and the PC is set to "Best Performance."  Do you have any further suggestions?  Things I might try?

Curiously, both my kids have noted that it doesn't appear to happen until after they have gone to Youtube.  It doesn't necessarily happen while they are on Youtube, but it *seems* that it rarely if ever happens until after they have visited to Youtube.  A possible clue? 

Thank you,

-FrankenYAG2000

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 8,843 Applies to: