Windows 10 freezes waking from hibernate

Upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago from Windows 7 x64 home edition. The machine is a Dell Inspiron 546, AMD Phenom II x4 945 CPU 3GHz, 8GB RAM. It has no pen or touch input installed. I'd like to get it running at least as well as it did under Windows 7.

Among the problems I have to solve is that Windows 10 will not wake from hibernate. 100% of the time it freezes in the middle of waking up. The screen will display the trapezoid MS Windows 10 symbol, and the rotating/bouncing dots under that will be frozen in place.

The screen doesn't blank or show any other indication that something is wrong.

The disk indicator light is dark and shows no activity. The power indicator is on. There are no warning beeps or similar complaints.

I recover from this by doing a hard power off (hold power button for five seconds), and restarting the machine. So far it's restarted without a problem every time, *but* I bet it's not a recommended way of starting W10, *and* if the machine is hibernating with unsaved work (I know, not smart) then the work is lost.

The machine does wake from sleep mode (power indicator goes to orange, display and disc are off) without any apparent problems.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or know someone who does?

-- 

Helge Moulding

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

1. Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
  2. Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
  3. Click on Power and follow the  onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again. Refer to the following link to change the power plan to suit your needs. 

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq  Refer to the section: How to create and delete a power plan

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

1.  Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.
  2. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1. Close the CMD window.
  2. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.             

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for that.

I've gone through your suggested steps.

The power trouble shooter complains that the screen saver is on (it didn't fix that). I can't see where that is on - the only screen saver setting I can find has it off - and I don't have a screen saver that I know of.

I went ahead and switched to one of the built-in power plans - "Balanced (Recommended)."

I ran the four command line scripts. They all completed without producing any message that indicated a problem, at least nothing I noticed.

Then I put the computer into hibernation and tried restarting it, and it froze again. It's like a bad Disney movie. ;-)

But from the way it froze, I have to wonder if any of the steps we took affect the machine's ACPI setup, or whatever DELL uses... <wipes sweat from face> I had to restart it twice, this time. That's a new thing.

-- 

Helge Moulding

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just reminded to keep you all updated.

The problem persists. My initial perception that the problem is confined to waking from hibernation appears to be incorrect. The problem also occurs from a cold start.

The startup process runs more than five seconds but less than ten before it freezes.

At this point I have no further information. I have resorted to only putting the machine to sleep.

-- 

Helge Moulding

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still dealing with this issue. Occasionally I have an idea to try out, but I've not had any ideas that were actually helpful. ^_^

The last thing I did is search the event log after having to restart the machine from a hung boot. I thought maybe whatever is hanging might log an event. But there was nothing.

Is there a way to get a verbose list of what happens during a boot, the way NT used to scroll all that stuff during boot? Maybe I have to boot to a sikrit console mode?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you managed to get this issue fixed? I have the same issue with my HP Laptop Pavilion with AMD Athlon X2 64 CPU. I have been digging alot but got nowhere to a solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2021 Views 5,489 Applies to: